Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Venison tacos and Wild Hog Green Chile Stew

Due to my recent freezer-filling trip to Alabama, I have been enjoying an abundance of game meat. Just in the last week we have had wild hog backstrap wrapped in bacon and smoked on the grill, italian sweet fennel venison sausage in tomato sauce over pasta, venison tacos, amazing venison burgers, and wild hog green chile stew. Here are a few pics I took with the cell phone of some of it.

I learned how to make these tacos from my buddy Scott who likes to make them when I visit. This time I have alabama venison ground up and then seasoned with garlic, black pepper, and some hot chili powder made from home grown peppers of many kinds.

Spread a little of the meat on a fresh corn tortilla and fry it up. Then add chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro and cheese. Top with taco sauce....YUM!!

post-1-1296334356_thumb.jpg

post-1-1296334427_thumb.jpg

post-1-1296334436_thumb.jpg

Wild Hog Green Chile --- we took one half of one backstrap and after smoking it on the grill, put it in the crockpot for about 8 hrs with some roasted green chiles, some chopped tomatoes, sliced garlic, some golden hominy, some garbonzo beans (just because we had a can of them, they don't add much flavor...the hominy is way better), onions and menudo spice. Thickened the sauce with some corn starch and it was awesome. The menudo spice really made it good. Before I added that it was ok, but that made it perfect. Top with shredded cheese if you like.

post-1-1296334581_thumb.jpg

That's ok that I wasn't invited :( but did you have to post those pictures to rub it in? :lol: That all looks awesome. I know there wouldn't have been enough for Paul and I both so I conpletely understand. ;)

TJ

That's ok that I wasn't invited :( but did you have to post those pictures to rub it in? :lol: That all looks awesome. I know there wouldn't have been enough for Paul and I both so I conpletely understand. ;)

TJ

LOL!!! Yeah, that's how I felt when you posted your Dove pics awhile back!! Can't wait to try those at the javelina camp in a couple weeks.