Rembrant asked me to post this hunt story and photo for him.

Jim Atcheson and I like to hunt one of the Northern New Mexico units. We have had 4 permits in 5 years. Out of the 4 permits, I have killed 3 mature bucks; 2 - 4 points and a 3 x 5. The two biggest bucks were taken with a muzzleloader.

I love that place.

The reason I am successful is because of Jim. He reads mule deer better than anyone I have ever known. He hunts extremely hard, but couldn't give a darn if he kills a deer at all. He enjoys the hunt more than the kill. Consequently he benevolently sets me up as the shooter in a drive/sit situation. Sometimes he lets me do the push, but mostly we end up arguing and I end up "losing" and having to sit on a high point massaging my trigger.

This deer was pushed into me, on purpose, by Jim. The buck ran by me at 40 yards. After shooting, the deer didn't seem to break stride, and I lost sight of him quickly. I gave a quick check of his tracks (about 30 yds.) for blood and there was none. I was convinced I had missed again (I had already missed 2 other mature bucks this hunt!). I told Jim that I was gonna reload my gun and shoot myself. He said there was no need for that, because his gun was already loaded. Now, there's a true friend.

Before we hooked back up, he swung through a pocket of trees below my stand (he never quits), then I was to walk down the bucks tracks to help determine where he went. This is part of Jim's never ending pursuit of patterning mule deer bucks. Which, as a side note, is the most amazing thing about hunting the sands of Northern New Mexico; deer can be tracked all day, and discovering where these bucks go, and the ground they cover, is truly fascinating.

Anyway, after following the bucks tracks for about 60 yards, there he was - dead!!! He never bled a drop. Still learning about hunting with a muzzleloader.

Good thing I didn't shoot myself!

Didn't get him weighed, but we figured him to be about 180+# dressed. He has a 26" outside spread, scores 177 gross and 172" net (unofficial). His teeth are worn nearly to the gum line. He may be an older regressing buck, yet his rack is symmetrical and quite beautiful.

I'm a blessed man.

Things - everything - seems to be so busy these days. I really cherish being able to get away with a good friend for a while where there is nothing - absolutely nothing - more important than killing a deer.

post-1-1132515542.jpg

Great story. You are blessed to have a great huntin buddy like Jim.

That's a great looking muley and with a muzzleloader, awesome ;)

Great story and what a whopper of a muley. Congrats on a good hunt. We tried finding something like that in southern NM for my partner. But no luck. Weather wasn't good. Needed a good freeze to get the muleys to start coming up from flats to the lower hills.

Definitely a nice buck. Great friends make hunting better!

If your buck is on the downslide, you have to wonder what he was in prime?

Congratulations.

VERY NICE MULEY! Great story and did I mention that I really like your muley. :D

;)

Congratulations Rembrant, Great story and great deer.