COOSEFAN

I'm getting excited!!!

I've been watching this "Mexico" forum sit with no action for several months, and I'm dyin' to hear about the place I've dreamed of hunting for so long. I finally saved up enough $ and bought a hunt in Chihuahua. I'ts supposedly a low pressure, high quality hunt, great references, and monster bucks killed every year. I know of most of the risks involved hiring an outfitter, and being one myself, I've never done it before. I felt that this is the safest way to hunt Mexico, and the outfitter I'm using has a great rep. with everyone I've talked to. I purchased the last tag he had and it is for Jan. 19. He assured me thats a good thing because by then he'll know whats on the ranches and what to hold out for. My concerns are, will the rut be winding down? Will there be alot of broken points? Is there anything I should or shouldn't take down there? I'm debating on taking my Swarovski STS 80 HD scope, I never leave home without it or my EL's or my 15's, but seems scary to take that stuff down there. I've already given my serial #'s to them for this stuff. Would you take it to Mexico? I was given a choice to hunt the normal ranches ( there's 2 ) with ranch houses and cooks or hunt a ranch with no facilities or cooks, and hasn't been hunted ever by Americans, with the exception of 1 guy last year that took a 130" class buck! This ranch is a new lease and the outfitter doesn't want to hunt it until next season but said I can hunt it if I want! No Brainer! I got a deal anyways because I'm self guiding but I'll also be hunting out of a tent eating what ever food he brings me from the other ranches. Sounds incredible to me, I'll just have to wait and hope it all turns out like I hope. Any tips, ideas, or past experiences would be cool! Thanks for your time. JIM

I took all of my optics and gear across boarder with my outfitter and his lawyer present. Had no problems at all. I also hunted, shall we say semi-self guided. I had a guide somedays, who was pretty useless as far a coues hunting goes, he had no optics and just wanted to walk and jump shoot deer. So he basically became my driver and I left him at the jeep everyday.

As long as you are going with a reputable outfitter I don't see any reason not to bring your most important gear, next to your rifle.

As far as your dates, I hunted the 1st week of Jan. and it was a little early, though the buck I killed was with does and there was some rutting going on.

Sounds like your in for a great hunt :D

Guest Ernesto C

You mentioned you are hunting with a reputable outfitter so I'm assuming (we should never assume) that he already took care of you contract,gun permits etc etc etc.

I'm also assuming he already explained you what "self guided" means to him.

You mentione you are a guide your self,have you ever guided in Mexico or did he already told you the "do's and donts" when reporting your trophy to PROFEPA and to USFWS ??

You mentioned Jan. 19th is a Thursday,when you hunt starts and when will end?how many days?

You are going during the best time.

Dont shoot the bucks with broken points,shoot the ones the broke the other bucks points.

Have a good time and God bless you,if you have any questions let us know.

Ernesto C

You mentioned you are hunting with a reputable outfitter so I'm assuming (we should never assume) that he already took care of you contract,gun permits etc etc etc.

I'm also assuming he already explained you what "self guided" means to him.

You mentione you are a guide your self,have you ever guided in Mexico or did he already told you the "do's and donts" when reporting your trophy to PROFEPA and to USFWS ??

You mentioned Jan. 19th is a Thursday,when you hunt starts and when will end?how many days?

You are going during the best time.

Dont shoot the bucks with broken points,shoot the ones the broke the other bucks points.

Have a good time and God bless you,if you have any questions let us know.

Ernesto C

My outfitter is a guide here in the states and works with a Mexican affiliate for the mexico stuff. Our schedules clash due to the very busy guiding season, so I haven't gone over the fine details of the hunt yet. All my info for my equipment and gun permit have already been taken care of and I've already got my passport taken care of. We are supposed to go over the details when I return from my wifes 12aw hunt on Sun. These late elk hunts have been hectic to say the least. No, I have never guided in Mexico, and have never even been there. My hunt is a 6 day hunt and I believe I'll be hunting full days for those 6 and driving on the 7th and 8th days of my trip. As for "Self-Guided", I believe there will be a guy with us to tell us good places to go and help out, but I'm getting a deal on this hunt becuase it's a new lease and no facilities. The outfitter knows us ( my brother is going to video tape) and figured we would be good clients to try out this new ranch. If the ranch isn't producing, we have the option to hunt the other leases. I was hoping you would say that this is a good time to go, it just seems late to me, but I wouldn't know. I appreciate everyones input, thanks JIM

I also was going to get this Mex. forum going again...

What outfitter are you going with????

I've been waiting for the right oppertunity in Chihuahua.

You could be in the middle of Mecca" on that new ranch, OR It might have been pounded by all the ranchers family/ cowboys. I would'nt hunt it more then 3 or 4 days, you'll know if the bucks are there.

Then i would go enjoy the ranch beds & that fine Mex. cooking.

The timeing is perfect as the Rut in Mex. can go into March depending on how far South you are.

Take ALL your optics. No ????? But if you are flying, do not check them. Carry on only, airline baggage carriers don't care whats in your bag.

Be patient with the Culture as things can be a cluster F^%$.. But enjoy... you'll have a BLAST.

I'm headed to Sonora the last wk. of Jan. .... Can't wait....

DH

I am doing a hunt First week of January in Chihuahua.

We are using EL HALCON Outfitters . 8* days for Coues and Mule deer.

I hunted Mexico 2 years ago with El Hacon , they were great. We seen lots of bucks and the guides were great. If you can get felipe or chewey both have great. eyes and are alot of fun. Wayne Curtis is one of my best friends and one of the most knowlegable guys youll ever meet about trophy coues. IM jealous have a great hunt. .... buy the way I killed a 114 inch buck

jlhcoues

I also was going to get this Mex. forum going again...

What outfitter are you going with????

I've been waiting for the right oppertunity in Chihuahua.

You could be in the middle of Mecca" on that new ranch, OR It might have been pounded by all the ranchers family/ cowboys.  I would'nt hunt it more then 3 or 4 days, you'll know if the bucks are there.

Then i would go enjoy the ranch beds & that fine Mex. cooking.

The timeing is perfect as the Rut in Mex. can go into March depending on how far South you are.

Take ALL your optics. No ????? But if you are flying, do not check them. Carry on only, airline baggage carriers don't care whats in your bag.

Be patient with the Culture as things can be a cluster F^%$.. But enjoy... you'll have a BLAST.

I'm headed to Sonora the last wk. of Jan. .... Can't wait....

DH

Hey Couesnut, just returned home from wife's Kiabab hunt.....the sage flats are 1,170 grains heavier, and there are five very respectable bucks better educated!!! As for Mexico, I'm using Chihuahua Rough Country Outfitters. I met a guy at a R.M.E.F. banquet this year who had donated a coues hunt. I lost the tag in the auction and bought the only other tag he had left. I didn't have a choice on hunt dates, thats why I was curious about the rut intensity and what to expect at that certain time of Jan. I wish I could say that I researched this outfitter and the gentleman I met at the banquet before I signed on but I didn't. The guy I met is a respected guide and outfitter, and works side by side with the owner of C.R.C.O. down in Mex. The person who bought his donated hunt last year shot a 117" buck that jumped out while they were stalking a supposed 130" class buck! That guy was there at the banquet and highly recommended these guys. I don't know the specifics on the new lease, I just know it hasn't been guided on except the one time, with a 130" class buck shot by one of the Cabelas' boys. To tell the truth, I've dreamed of hunting Mex. Coues for a long time and didn't want to spend the money to go shoot a 80" -90" class buck. Don't get me wrong, thats huge in my book, but I feel thats something a guy, who has a good tag and does his homework, can kill here in AZ for a lot less money. This outfitter actually told me I will probably see a 100" plus buck every day and stand a good chance of seeing a 120" plus during the hunt if I hold out!!! Thats sounds unreal to me, but I saw the pic's and heard the references. I have always heard other outfitters say that 90" inches is what they shoot for and maybe 100" plus. So I felt now's the time to take a chance and try these guys out. I want to experience what I've always heard about, glassing and seeing SEVERAL 80-90" inch plus bucks every day and hopefully a few 100" inch plus bruisers mixed in. Just to do that and come home empty handed would be fine with me, but if I bring one home, I want it to be something special, a lot of character, mass, extras, or just plain huge! Any Coues buck, regardless of size, gets me excited, but this hunt is a bonus hunt this year for me so I'm holding out for THE ONE! I'm meeting my American outfitter at the border, then driving in with him, I will take my optics and thanks for the reasurrance. I will finally have time this week to talk with the outfitter about the rest of the details. "Is there any questions I should ask, things I need to know I'm not already aware of?" "What was Ernesto C talking about reporting a trophy to PROFEPA or USFWS?" Thanks for everyones advice, sorry for typing so much, been away for a while! ONE LAST THING, is there a link between my outfitter and EL Halcon? On "COUES DEER IS KING" they tried to cut out parts where poeple say the name but they were calling themsleves "Rough Country Outfitters" also? It's had me confused for a while. They didn't say "CHIHUAHUA Rough C.O." just "Rough C.O." maybe thats the difference? If you have any bad news about my Outfitter, please don't tell me, I've already paid!!! Thanks again, JIM

I have heard of those guys, and only good things! Seen lots of photos of their buck! i BET u will be VERY VERY HAPPY WITH THEM....have a good friend that hunts with them every year!!! YOU will GET A GOOD BUCK!!!

coosefan,

I am not sure what the current laws in Chihuahua are or where you will be crossing. But make dang sure when crossing back into the U.S. that you have ALL of you're Docs. ... For Sonora it has been, Lic. Tag, contract. transport paper, All of these must match the ranch owners #s, Customs decleration & be signed by all .

It might be all this, or more or less, It's based on that Mex. states Laws & Regs. They have changed many times in the past. But it does seem to be alot less this year, And getting better. Just make sure you're outfitter gives you everthing when you're leaving.

The USFWS has'nt always been up to speed on what they want or need.

You don't want to be sited for a violation of the Lacey Act & have you're head confiscated, do to a paperwork misunderstanding.

You might call the USFWS at 505-248-7889 to get the current Regs. of what is needed.

DH

coosefan,

I am not sure what the current laws in Chihuahua are or where you will be crossing. But make dang sure when crossing back into the U.S. that you have ALL of you're Docs. ... For Sonora it has been,  Lic. Tag, contract. transport paper, All of these must match the ranch owners #s, Customs decleration & be signed by all .

It might be all this, or more or less, It's based on that Mex. states Laws & Regs. They have changed many times in the past. But it does seem to be alot less this year, And getting better. Just make sure you're outfitter gives you everthing when you're leaving.

The USFWS has'nt always been up to speed on what they want or need.

You don't want to be sited for a violation of the Lacey Act & have you're head confiscated, do to a paperwork misunderstanding.

You might call the USFWS at 505-248-7889 to get the current Regs. of what is needed.

DH

Couesnut, thanks for the info, and advice. Much appreciated! The outfitter has a storage place for my truck in Deming, NM. Thats where we are crossing, and I'll be riding there and back with him, crossing both times with him there. When I signed on, I expressed my concern about the problems I've heard and read about, crossing the border. He told me that his Mexican affiliate is well educated and is someone of importance in Mex. and is probably the safest person to cross with. I did write that number down and will check it out, Thanks! That info that megahunter replied really made me feel better! Thanks again! JIM

Coosefan,

Mexico is a whole different ball game. I hunted down there a couple years ago and I would say 100 inch bucks are average there. I passed on several well over 100 so that I could kill the 120 inch buck we saw one morning. No luck for me connecting on the 120, but you can see video of that buck on this site. Look in the video clip section.

And make sure you call USFWS and ask them about the rules and regs for reporting the trophy and brining it back across the border.

Amanda

Coosefan,

Mexico is a whole different ball game.  I hunted down there a couple years ago and I would say 100 inch bucks are average there.  I passed on several well over 100 so that I could kill the 120 inch buck we saw one morning.  No luck for me connecting on the 120, but you can see video of that buck on this site.  Look in the video clip section.

And make sure you call USFWS and ask them about the rules and regs for reporting the trophy and brining it back across the border. 

Amanda

I appreciate it Amanda, I will call them. It sends chills down my spine to hear you say 100 inch bucks are average there! That's exactly why I saved my pennies for so long to finally be able to do it. If I can sit and watch a 120" class buck through my optics for at least a minute, undisturbed and doin' what they do, then it was all worth it, kill or not! I'm excited! Thanks JIM

Hey COOSEFAN,

I am also booked for a trip w/the same group. I purchased my hunt through an auction at the SCI banquet here in Flagstaff. My hunt is Jan. 10th, I am really pressing my luck and only taking my bow down with me. I am an archery hunter and to me, that is the only way I want to hunt, so we'll see if it pays off. ;) Been practicing a bunch and as you, getting really excited too!