Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

Time to Pick a Fight

Ok I'll bite. I can honestly say my dads Springfield 03A3 30-06 sniper rifle from the Korean War with its 26" barrel can reach out farther than one can see a coues buck. He shoots a Sierra boattail 130 grain with Bal-C-2 powder with I think 53 grains. It flies at about 3150 fps. He plastered a good buck two years ago out at 311 yrds. I know I know it isn't that far, but you have to consider he is 73. You probably will say that round is too small for elk but he has taken several with it and didn't need a second shot. My niece has taken Elk with her 243 without a second shot. Shot placement is the name of the game. Now as for me I shoot a 416 grain death stick with the Swhacker out to 80 yrds. Some of you say that is to far, you need to watch the Olympic games. I used to shoot a Hoyt competition recurve at 40 lbs out to 90 Meters. They still shoot 90 m If they can do it so can I with my bow at 78lbs. All one needs to do is shoot him while he is calm and eating, or asleep. You all have fun with your "bang sticks" GOOD HUNTING TO ALL

• Like 1

I'll bite also, For deer and elk I'd go with my .300 Weatherby mag, 175 berger @3278fps. 3" high @ 100, 21" low at 500. The closest in my gun safe on shooting flat is my 7mm, 34" @ 500 with 150's.

I also have an 25-06, 30-06, 7mm mag, 338 win mag i concider the 300 weatherby the best, flattest shooting.