Xman2000

BBC and John Deer Green Explanation

I thought I would clarify what BBC and John Deer Green means for beginners novices and people interested in fishing mainly Pan fish lures explanations.When I first started out fishing and even hunting the terminology boggled my mind and Sometimes intimidated me as well. So rather than high jack a thread from LeRoys post I thought pictures as well as explanations would help because I know once Crappie bite is in full swing these BBC and john deer goodies will dry up at your favorite bait shop .So here is Most Crappie fisherman's favorite go to bait simply because it is deadly on Crappie once the bite is on. BBC stands for Black N'Blue/Chartreuse colored grub and John Deere Green color grub they are the the 2 inch size made by Kalin's or 2"triple threat grub as it is called on the package the first picture is what they will look like on the shelf in the stores the right one is BBC and Left one John Deere Green they come in a 10 pack I believe and 50 pack and 100 pack I always try to get the biggest pack I can find they are hard to come by later on in the season and you will lose allot in the sticks and heavy cover some times when you fish .There are nock offs that look just like these grubs as well I belive bass pro has some and a few other companys and they all seem to work (plus there worth a kings Ransom when you are the only one on the lake with these lures and other fisher men have ran out and are asking you if you will sell some to them LOL JK!:0)

The second pictures is of how the lure should look like once rigged on your jig head the top jig has a BBC on a 1/16 oz jig head Notice how the tail is facing down this gives the bait the best action and is the right way to have this bait rigged

the second jig head is called a roadrunner jig head with a john Deere green grub the road runner has a tiny spinner blade that creates allot of flash in the water and is great for trolling (dragging your bait in the water as your boat moves slowly) you can also add a minnow to this set up for more juicy temptation.

The next pictures are of jig heads the plain jig head the dart jig head and the road runner jig head I like to use a 1/16 size in all of these styles if the conditions are calm and the crappie bite is non stop it drops at a great steady rate in the water and I work it back to me a slow as i can possibly stand it thats key

I use heaver jig heads like 1/8 oz if it is windy day or I am trolling my bait and need the bait to go deep.

The dart head I like as well because it has an erratic movement in the water and some times triggers fish to bite .

I also use 4 pound test line to fish for crappie that seems to work best for me !the great thing about fishing is you can experiment with different lures line, poles, speed, retrieve, etc and find out what works for you.But when you see reports of BBC and john Deere there is no doubt this bait works

The other thing I would suggest is go to the seminars that the pros put on like Leroy its great information and and rewarding when you can put lots fish in the boat!

experts Feel free to add to this post if you have more to add or I need to be corrected :)

post-4762-0-49228300-1299314661_thumb.jpg

post-4762-0-55423600-1299314694_thumb.jpg

post-4762-0-64428700-1299314725_thumb.jpg

Xman2000.....great post! You did a good job explaining amd the pics along with it is sure to help out alot of people hitting the water for crappie and bass. I will have to try with the tail down. I have always fished with the tail up but can see where the tail down would be better if using a minnow. Thanks for the post. Where do you buy your minnows and how much? Thanks for sharing. Wish I wasn't working. I think I'm feeling sick about Monday. :)

TJ

Good Post!

I will add a couple of my tricks as well. When crappie hit the banks I use the a weedless 1/32 oz jighead with the #4 hook made by Quikset. They save you lots of jigheads in the brush. Using these in the wind can be tough but with a little practice you will be fine.

post-102-0-67683500-1299382514_thumb.jpg

I use a 7ft ultralight rod, I like the length because it makes it easier to cast the light heads. Also the longer rod is good for "dabbling" vertically in the bushes when the fish are tucked tight especially after a cold front. Just make sure it is an ultralight. I have seen people use heavier rods and they just don't feel the fish bite.

As for line, I use 4lb Fireline (1 lb diameter) in flourescent green. Stuff is tuff. With no stretch the lightest bite can be felt or seen.

Like Xman2000 said, presentation is the key. Slow and slower on the retrieve is the best. If you think you are going to fast you probably are.

Good luck to everyone this spring!

Brian

Xman2000.....great post! You did a good job explaining amd the pics along with it is sure to help out alot of people hitting the water for crappie and bass. I will have to try with the tail down. I have always fished with the tail up but can see where the tail down would be better if using a minnow. Thanks for the post. Where do you buy your minnows and how much? Thanks for sharing. Wish I wasn't working. I think I'm feeling sick about Monday. :)

TJ

Hey TJ great to finally meet ya the the other Day! If I am going to Roosevelt I always try to get my minnows as close to the lake as possible to cut down on the mortality rate so I always call kilmers bait shop in globe there on the way to the lake on the salt end there number is 928-425-0700 they usually have specials too if you buy so many dozens etc so I get like 3 or more buddies to go in on em and divvy em up once we get there if I am going to San Carlos I hate having to go out of my way so I will pick them up at liars corner in east Mesa and just make sure I ice my minnows down often till I get to the lake liars corners number is 480-986-2515 I always keep those bait shops on my speed Dali on my cell plus there a great source for a quick report before I head out to a specific lake it's amazing how fast work travels

Thanks for the information. I have a lot to do on my next days off but will try to get at least one day on some water somewhere. We'll have to hit the lake together sometime with the kids and camp out. Great talking with you the other day. I stopped down to see ya before you left but you were already gone. :)

TJ