how do i remove rust from a barrel without removing the blueing? i let a buddy borrow one of my guns for his pig hunt up in the 18's. not sure which one. but it snowed and rained on them and he let some rust get on the barrel. its only about 2 inch long by max 1inch. but still dont want to remove any blueing. thanks

how do i remove rust from a barrel without removing the blueing? i let a buddy borrow one of my guns for his pig hunt up in the 18's. not sure which one. but it snowed and rained on them and he let some rust get on the barrel. its only about 2 inch long by max 1inch. but still dont want to remove any blueing. thanks

First off, thats one heck of a friend... Keep that in your memory bank!

Second, try Flitz.

Oil and a rag will sometimes work if its not to deep. Let the oil sit on it for a bit them rub hard.

If there are spots of rust left after the oil treatment, you might try removing the oil and lightly using the striker portion of a book of paper matches as an abrasive. Don't forget to remove the barrel and action first to see if the stock is hiding any rust. If so, an out-of-view place is where you should test the paper match "sandpaper." If you go slow and are very careful, it usually won't affect the bluing.

Bill Quimby

Try some gun oil and fine steel wool. As bill said, be sure to remove the stock and look at all the places rust can hide.