Sign in to follow this  
ehunt

Chino Grande Ranch 19B

I haven't agreed with much that the commission has done in the last 5 years so I made sure to send them a supportive email when I thought they made a good call on a tough situation this time.

Thanks for posting the link.

Here is YOUR chance to write the dept. and tell them exactly how you feel about this.

http://www.azgfd.gov...nting_19b.shtml

This is all crap!!! its not about ranchers or land to me. its about G&F. they issued a hunt and took our money for it. it screwed every person that put in for that unit. some people maybe had 15,18 points and now arnt hunting due to G&F. G&F knew this was a problem unit and didnt correct the issue. its rather obvious when you look at the timing of the announcement. i think the rancher played it perfect. a good ole slap in yur face G&F!

This is all crap!!! its not about ranchers or land to me. its about G&F. they issued a hunt and took our money for it. it screwed every person that put in for that unit. some people maybe had 15,18 points and now arnt hunting due to G&F. G&F knew this was a problem unit and didnt correct the issue. its rather obvious when you look at the timing of the announcement. i think the rancher played it perfect. a good ole slap in yur face G&F!

To each their own opinion but i would disagree whole heartily with you on this issue--the game and fish did just what needed to be done.

If the rancher told the WM all along that they would allow hunters on the ranch then why wouldn't the department hold the draw as is?? The rancher did a smart thing and let the draw take place (and it has taken place) and the rancher thought the game and fish would let the hunters find a place to hunt--just like the Campbell Ranch did last year and they made a few thousand bucks when they did that. Any way--the rancher thought he outplayed the department but it was one of the best chess moves i have ever seen that the department made. If it was a slap in the face to game and fish it was a knock out blow to the rancher and ranchers in 19B.

Like i said to each their own opinion but i believe it was exactly what they needed to do.

Good luck on the draw folks!!

What about the guys who have say max bp's and had this unit as first and second choice now wont get a chance to hunt it. Maybe they get a less desired hunt with their 3rd or 4th choice and waste all their points. I would be pissed.

Not taking the ranchers side but I think if they wanted to make money they would of waited until results were announced and not 2 weeks before they came out.

What about the guys who have say max bp's and had this unit as first and second choice now wont get a chance to hunt it. Maybe they get a less desired hunt with their 3rd or 4th choice and waste all their points. I would be pissed.

Not taking the ranchers side but I think if they wanted to make money they would of waited until results were announced and not 2 weeks before they came out.

I believe if they had 19B as their first or second choice they wouldn't look at their third choice until after the first two choices were full. I'm not positive on this but I think in the 20% max point pool they only look at your first two choices. The 3rd-5th choices are for after the first draw and there wouldn't be any antelope tags available to draw.

I believe if they had 19B as their first or second choice they wouldn't look at their third choice until after the first two choices were full. I'm not positive on this but I think in the 20% max point pool they only look at your first two choices. The 3rd-5th choices are for after the first draw and there wouldn't be any antelope tags available to draw.

20 percent pass, then 1st and second choice pass, then 3rd and fourth choice pass. You can still draw tags for antelope not being in the 20% pss.

I'm impressed with how G&F played this one. The fact that the landowner waited till the last possible moment shows thier true intention. As far as the hunters that did apply for 1st and 2nd choice hunts there, well that just sucks. But whats the alternative? Stop the draw for 65 tags? There are thousands upon thousands of hunters waiting to find out if they drew Elk and Antelope tags in other units. Should we all just wait for 4000 or so applicants to apply for thier Antelope tags all over again? G&F was right to say this is a no win for everyone and I'm sure sorry for anyone who didn't put 5 choices on thier app.

If you think this is bad, try hunting Wyoming. Our landowners are a dream to work with compared to that state. Some of the best country in Wyoming is on private land and if you get caught by the landowner you stand a preety good chance of getting shot at. No B.S.

I would say if you had max points and applied for 19B the department did you a favor. The only way you could have killed a book head in that unit is if you hired an outfitter and hunted on the K4--believe me the bucks are never going to get big on the huntable part of 19B unless they cut the tags all the way down to 10 each year then maybe the bucks will get the chance to grow past 2 years old before someone shoots them.

I have to agree with Terry on this. If you have max points you do NOT want a 19B tag this year unless you're willing to pay to hunt the K4 (which has been locked up for years). It does stink that you can't redo your apps, but from G&F's standpoint there weren't any good options. I also agree that 19B should either be closed or have the tags drastically reduced for a few years.

There has to be more to this whole story. There's no way in heck that rancher is making his decision to lock up the gates based solely on the "possibility" of a solar energy farm. According to the article in the Daily Courier the solar farm is still just in the "talks" phase. It's not even 100% that it's going on that ranch. Even IF it does go out there on the ranch, it's going to be years before all the permits and bureaucratic nonsense gets all straightened out so that they can actually start building out there.

They close the ranch after the draw in 2009.

They threaten to close the ranch in 2010, but left it open.

Now they close it up for good, before the draw.

I think the GFD did the right thing by just closing the unit to antelope hunting.

I know of 2 hunters that******** on their property.

I have to agree with Terry on this. If you have max points you do NOT want a 19B tag this year unless you're willing to pay to hunt the K4 (which has been locked up for years). It does stink that you can't redo your apps, but from G&F's standpoint there weren't any good options. I also agree that 19B should either be closed or have the tags drastically reduced for a few years.

The G&F numbers are unexceptable. Same ole crap.