longshooter

Best coues rifle ?

I have always used my old 25-06 for shooting whitetail and Iam looking to buy a new rifle. What is the Ideal caliber for shooting coues at long ranges ? .270 or a 300 shortmag ? I have killed a few over 400-500 yards with my 25-06 but want to get more dialed in and have a better shot pattern.

Check the ballistic tables. Decide how far you intend to shoot them find a cartridge that will deliver 1000 foot pounds of energy at that range. Then you need to set up your rifle to shoot accurately to the maximum range you intend shoot at. When my friends ask my this question I tell them to start at the 7mm mag and go up. I have taken over 20 of these critters and based on what I have seen the 7 mag would be my minimum. I currently use a Sendero 7mmSTW that was accurized by Rifles Inc. for glass and stalk animals. I also use a 6.5/Lazzeroni Patriot when I need to walk a long ways. It weighs 5.25lbs and has a 24inch carbon wrapped barrel. Both rifles are extremely accurate. I use 120gr bullets in both guns. If you practice at the ranges you are going to hunt at you will know exactly what you and your rifle are capable of. These deer are tough and I have had to hike back to where I've shot a deer the night before to recover the animal. That is when I decided to hunt with a caliber large enough to put them down with either energy or hydrostatic shock. I have also found that your bullet selection is important. My friend shot a deer at 354yds and ended up shooting it 4 times before it went down with a 7mag. He was using 160gr nosler partitions. He told me the reason was is that he had an elk hunt later in the year and that was the load he worked up for it. The bullets were zipping right through the deer. If your choices are 270 or 300wsm, I would take the 300wsm with 150 to 165gr bullets.

Chickenman

i would strongly look at the 270wsm (what i use) and the 7RUM (what my dad uses) these guns seem to fit the deer and knock em dead! real dead!

If there is an ideal caliber for any animal, I haven't found it. Well maybe 12 guage for rattlesnakes, but I digress. Find a gun that you shoot well not what I, or anyone else for that matter, shoot well. If you are more capable than your rifle then by all means upgrade, but the 25-06 is a dandy coues caliber in my opinion. Sure, for long shots it is lacking the energy that the larger calibers produce but if you are wanting "to get more dialed in and have a better shot pattern" bigger isn't necessarily better.

Something to consider is recoil. I like my 300 Win mag and shoot it well, but magnum recoil is not for everyone! It took a lot of shooting to get good with this gun. It also took some getting used to the kick. If you flinch, it won't matter how accurate, flat shooting or hard hitting the gun is. You will miss do to operator error.

I have shot 3 different ultramags and can't handle the recoil. I've also shot a 7 mag that made me wish someone had just hit me with a sledge hammer instead! I would suggest finding some friends with some of these hand cannons and try them out; make sure you can handle them.

I'd say if you have killed deer at 500 yards with your 25-06 then you have a good shooting rifle and are skilled with it. Why change? Really, how many opportunities have you missed by not having enough gun? Now if you just want another gun, then I would suggest a pair of any of caliber you don't already own (one with stainless and synthetic to drag around the rocks with and one with polished blueing and English walnut to show off).

Honestly, if more accuracy is all you are looking for, glass bed your existing rifle, install a good trigger, work up some good handloads and spend some quality time at the range. It will pay off.

Good luck,

Kevin

I agree with Kevin. Recoil is a major consideration. Everyone can handle one or a few shots, but as Kevin points out, time on the range while shooting many rounds will lead to accuracy.

Have a sledgehammer hit your shoulder 20+ times in a couple hours and you will feel it and likely adjust your shooting style for it. adjustments lead to inconsistencies and inaccuracy.

I would probably say a 7mm mag for flat shooting and good energy retention. (I shoot a 300 win mag)

One more thing to consider is variety of Off the shelf ammo available. 7mm seems to be everywhere with some fair variety of options.

just my .02 worth..

i use a 300 weatherby mag with 165 gr nosler ballistic tips. i am pretty confident out to 600 yrds. it seems to kill pretty good to me. however i am not sure that it kills any better than the next gun.

I am completely sold on Nosler Ballistic tips. Those bullets expand hard and fast....for coues deer I don't think mass retention is all that important. Like chickenman said kill with either energy or shock. Ballistic tips are wicked looking once they've expanded and will rip a heart, lungs, whatever they hit to pieces when power by a good gun....257 and UP!

Personal preference for me is my 300 ultra mag, I have been using it for 5 years now and have taken all kinds of game from bobcats, deer, pronghorn, and elk with it. But like was said before find what works for you. I have a load for coues that is loaded up with 125gr sierras that zips out there and touches them. Whatever you decide on make sure you are comfortable with it.

Thanks for all the helpful information guys. I have decided to go with a 270 and go with the 4x14 power leupold scope and get the dot system. My only issue now is I want a 24" to 26 " barrell

thats stainless steel on a black composite stock. i would really want a Remington but having problems finding it. My second choice would be a winchester. probaly will float the barrel and glass the action on it along with a trigger job.

Also what the thaught on putting a muzzle break on a 270 ?