Sign in to follow this  
BikerRN

Spouse Compatability

Since I spend most of my online time dealing with non-hunting issues I thought I'd post this here. It's a conversation I'm involved in on another forum. If it's not suitable for discussion feel free to delete or move it.

Spouse Compatability

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy all.

Despite the title, this is not a discussion about relationships. Many of us that frequent the various forums have spouses and "significant others" that are competent with handguns, rifles and shotguns, but maybe don't favor them, or carry all the time.

Recently my wife decided she wanted a gun of her own and took her CCL Class. She tried a few calibers and platforms and "settled" on the Glock 19 that I own. It is now her's, and goes in her safe and not mine. This has given rise to a conumdrum of sorts and how best to solve it. Since my wife favors the 9mm, and I like the forty in a Hi Power platform I have decided to get another Glock 19 and a Glock 26. That will be my "primary and BUG". The reason for this is, it is a gun/platform in a caliber she is comfortable with. I can hand it to her, and she already knows how to "work it". If she is not carrying her own gun that day I will rely on the BUG if I have to arm her. We can also share magazines and ammo if the situation ever came to that.

Has anyone else gone down this road? I see the practicality of this arrangement, but have yet to find any negatives beyond not getting to carry my "preferred" choice. If I decide to go with another caliber we would lose the ammo compatability, but the platform would remain the same if I stayed with a Glock, thus still retaining the "familiarity" for her. Maybe over time her preferred platform will change, but for right now it is what it is. I think this may be something worthy of consideration by some of our members that are not mandated to carry a particular firearm, or maybe they can change what their mandated firearm is?

To me this strikes me as a common sense type of issue. I'm not trying to offend anyone by that statement, so please don't take it as such. The Husband and Wife could use more of a team approach to problem solving a situation by having weapon and ammo compatability IMHO. Also, I'm of the school of thought that "systems" should be designed around the weakest or less skilled user. The more trained person can adapt easier to changes than the novice. It doesn't do the less skilled or smaller person much good if a weapon platform is configured around the abilities of the more skilled person, bigger, or stronger person.

Just my $0.02. Take care and stay safe. I look forward to what you all have to say on this, even if you don't agree.

Biker

Biker

my wife like .357's, she has a couple of Ruger's, a Speed Six for the house and a GP100 to practice with. She had the Speed Six before we got married, I bought the GP100, she liked it and took it from me. I ain't gonna mess with her, she has guns!

I think its a good idea to go with what the author suggests.

Kind of like two hunters shooting the same caliber/cartridge while going in deep on a backpack hunt. In case one of the hunters' rifles because inoperable, the other rifle is his backup and he/she has ammo for it already. Teamwork.

I would have to agree with Chef. I like the whole team aspect of it. Its always good to know that your friend or even better, your spouse, has your back.

When I bought my wife a handgun, I knew it had to be something she was comfortable with. She didn't like the revolvers, and most semi-autos were hard for her to load. I ended up going with a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP. Not the most lethal round out there, but it's easy to carry and easy to operate. The thing that makes this gun so attractive is that you don't have to work the slide to chamber the first round round. You push a lever and the back part of the barrel pops up. You drop in a bullet, push the barrel back down until it clicks and you're ready with single or double action.