Sign in to follow this  
BRYCE CANYON

Mauser Rifle Build

I started with a 1909 Argentine Mauser 98 action that had been cleaned up a bit. Bill Quimby pointed me in the right direction when he strongly suggested that this classic action deserved a "nice piece of walnut" when I was finished.

After much consideration I decided that nothing is more "classic" than a full stocked Mannlicher style carbine. I love the look but some "nay sayers" have told me that a Mannlicher will not "shoot" due to the barrel band and pressure points on the barrel caused by the full length stock.

Does any one have any experience with a full length stock? Would you free float the barrel or maybe even glass bed it?

Some of you "purists" may not care for it but I like the look of stainless/wood so I sent the action to Robar for their NP3 coating. The barrel and other hardware will also receive the NP3 treatment before the rifle is finished.

Chris Horn built a 20" Apex barrel for me chambered in 6.5 X 284 with a 1:9 twist. The challenge will be to make this "modern classic" shoot accurately out to 500+ yards!

For the stock, I am considering Great American Gun Stocks in Kalifornia. Does anyone have experience with this company? I have seen some negative feed back on the internet but they are about the only company I can find that will build a custom Black Walnut stock in the Mannlicher style.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Bryce- my brother and i have the mannlichers that my dad gave us. a sako .222; and an h&r/sako .308. i also had a .243 sako for a while. accurate and deadly. argentine mauser? they are good for hunting in argentina?

Bryce- i have 2 6.5-284s , my brother had three , he is now down to one. my son in law has 1. i killed an 8"x8" coues with one last october. i have some ideas for loading it based on our experience once you get it built. come by ( in your spare time) i will show you a bighorn and a mannlicher. roniflag

Have you tried looking at Accuracy Innovations website? They may or may not make a Mannlicher style stock, but if I were going with wood, I'd give them very strong consideration. I've seen some write ups on their stuff ... full length aluminum bedding blocks ... several choices of wood ... lots of other options. Not cheap ... but then, you went Mauser, so you weren't expecting it to be cheap.

Action looks great in Robar ... looks like you'll have a fine rifle when it is done.

BRYCE CANYON;

My only experience with a Mannlicher-style stock was with one of my.257 Roberts. It was built on a Japanese Arisaka action and fitted with a Lyman receiver sight. I used it as my saddle rifle when I had a horse and a mule, and it was perfect for that use. I don't know how accurate it was, especially without a scope, but it was good enough to produce four or five Coues deer and a couple of javelinas for me. I'm not a stickler for supreme accuracy in my hunting rifles. What I call "minute-of-deer" (2-inch or smaller, 3-shot groups at 100 yards) has been good enough to kill everything I've wanted to take.

Bill Quimby