Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Looking at 5th wheels

My family is in the market for a fifth wheel trailer. I don't know much about them and am looking for imput from those of you that have them. We have decided that we want a bunkhouse model and from there we're open to suggestions. Are there any specific brands or models to stay away from? Problems you've had with yours? I'd like to stay around 30 ft but would go to 34 if the right deal comes along. Is 34ft to long for mountain roads? Also, do you have a preference for hitches? How important is a swivel and tilt hitch? Any suggestions any of you may have is appreciated! I'll add that I drive a 2006 F350 longbed crewcab with the 6.0 powerstroke and automatic tranny.

Kevin

Kevin,

A fifth wheel trailer is great to have, for hunting, fishing, and family camping. With a longbed truck there is no need to get a slider hitch but tilt is nice for rougher spots. Just remember that as it tilts, your truck side rails become vulnerable. 34 feet is quite long for anything but the smoothest off road areas. A 28 foot trailer can go over much rougher terrain than a 34. I have a 30 foot, but will be in the market for 26 or 28 feet next time. Regardless of the length, flipping the axel will help get it further off the pavement.

Good luck and enjoy!

Kevin,

A fifth wheel trailer is great to have, for hunting, fishing, and family camping. With a longbed truck there is no need to get a slider hitch but tilt is nice for rougher spots. Just remember that as it tilts, your truck side rails become vulnerable. 34 feet is quite long for anything but the smoothest off road areas. A 28 foot trailer can go over much rougher terrain than a 34. I have a 30 foot, but will be in the market for 26 or 28 feet next time. Regardless of the length, flipping the axel will help get it further off the pavement.

Good luck and enjoy!

I agree with what Pine Donkeys said. Flip the axel for sure. I have a 29ft and if my wife ever saw where I've pulled it she would kill me. I use a goose neck with a ball in the middle of my truck bed that I can remove. I wouldn't have it any other way. Just a pain climbing up to put the pin in the older I get. :)

TJ

I have to agree with tjhunt2, a goose neck conversion is an awesome option. I honestly think my 32' tows better with the goose neck than the fifth wheel style. If you are mechanical enough to put a goose neck hitch in yourself, you can get the hitch and trailer conversion cheaper than a fifth wheel hitch. Happy shopping.

Mike

The problem with flipping the axles is that it gives more leverage on the frame thus bending the frame I just helped out a buddy that had this same issue so be careful.

I have to agree that bigger is not always better, They can be a real pain to find a spot to camp in the dark. you have to know plan "A" plan "B" etc cause someone can be there already.