Sign in to follow this  
WadeNAZ

Time for a new Family Tent

Well I think I have my wife talked into a new tent for Father's Day. Looking to get a Family tent that can easily sleep 2 adults and 2 children, Can be used in the wind and rain and can take the abuse that comes with hunting. I have always been a fan of Coleman tents and have looked at their weathermaster and insta tent online. I wanted to toss the question out there

What Brands are worth looking at or staying away from? Any tents you highly recommend?

Thanks,

Wade

I prefer a good wall tent. If this is out of the question, the kodiak canvas tent looks nice for a decent price.

Just up to to you, how much you want to spend and the ease of setting up.

Good luck! That's a fun purchase especially with the kids.

Wade:

FWIW, I was talking to the camping dept. mgr at Sportsman's Warehouse, and he said that Coleman has really gone downhill in terms of quality. Says they have a lot of problems with their zippers.

Kelty has a reputation for building a good tent. Believe it or not, I bought a 10x12 tent four years ago at Walmart (Ozark Trail: their store brand), and it has performed beautifully. We use it a half dozen times per year, not including the backyard campouts my boys have with their buddies. I recall paying less than $80 for it.

Hope this helps.

I have the Cabelas Quad Pole dome tent and really like it and have been very happy with it. I have the medium sized one (5/6 person size). I have slept 3 adults in it with plenty of room so it would probably work for 2 adults and 2 kids. Or they have a larger one. You could probably go to Cabelas and check them out before purchasing. It has held up very well in the wind and rain.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents/View-All-Tents|/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/105517980/Cabelas-Quad-Pole-Dome-Tent/735043.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-tents-view-all-tents%2F_%2FN-1102375%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105517980%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104779080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104779080%3Bcat105517980

Be sure to do a search on 'tents' here in the forums! I think there are several threads that have debated the ups/downs of the various tents! ;)

I've got the Cabela's 12x12 Alaknak. I also have the Camo-cot bunk set-up and can easily sleep 4 comfortably. A great family/hunting tent, IMO. I also have the vestibule, which adds LOTS of covered storage and/or sitting space if needed. Some folks prefer canvas over the poly material that the Alaknak constructed with..... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ultimate-Alaknak8482-Tent/732548.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dalaknak%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=alaknak&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Good luck!

S.

:)

I've got the Cabela's 12x12 Alaknak. I also have the Camo-cot bunk set-up and can easily sleep 4 comfortably. A great family/hunting tent, IMO. I also have the vestibule, which adds LOTS of covered storage and/or sitting space if needed. Some folks prefer canvas over the poly material that the Alaknak constructed with..... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ultimate-Alaknak8482-Tent/732548.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dalaknak%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=alaknak&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+ProductsGood luck!S.:)

I prefer the weight savings, simple setup, and quick dry of the Alaknak and have the same tent... don't think for a minute I'd ever go back to canvas.

But I've also embraced goretex, synthetic fleece, modern boots, etc.

I look at a canvas tent like a wool coat, mink oiled or bees-waxed unlined leather boots, etc... good back in the day but their time has passed. They all served their function and still will, but there are much better options to be had with modern materials.