Thegrayghost

Bear hunting Sana Rita Mts.

Hey guys I'm fairly new to hunting bears and have only tried it once. This fall season I would love to take down a big bear. I don't have dogs nor re money for a guide. And was thinking about glassing or sitting a waterhole. Can any of you bear hunters out there help me. I just want to get one bear. Where should I start. Being that all areas are closed due to the fires, is it to late to scout? I need all the help I can get please can some one help. Also, is there alot of bears in the Sana Ritas. Or should I try elsewhere?

Thanks

I have asked the same Questions to alot of people on here. From what I can tell you is this. Its never to late to scout a new area get out and look for sign and glass. If you are like me and do the spot and stalk then you have to glass long distance. So get the best optics you can. Get high and look low in the vallys and draws,hills,fingers. If your going to sit on water then Set some cams in diffrent spots to try and give you a Idea as to what bears are geting water.Plus thsi will help you scout 2 or 3 areas with out wasting days in a stand. If not look for vegation in the unit you plan on for berrys acorns ETC. Find the food find the bears thats all they think of. I have tryed sitting,calling,spot and stalk in diffrent unit's the best way is get out and glass. As for the sana Rita's I have been up there and do alot of hunting in that area and they are there just have to find them. Good luck. I have not taken my first bear yet but im im hoping that will change.

If I were you I would try 22. There are alot of good-great bear areas in the early season. The Santa Ritas are rough at best. If I was going to put my time in 22 has the most bears. Thats my opinion, take it or leave it.

If I were you I would try 22. There are alot of good-great bear areas in the early season. The Santa Ritas are rough at best. If I was going to put my time in 22 has the most bears. Thats my opinion, take it or leave it.

Wouldnt it be hard to glass over thier? What is the best way to hunt a bear in that unit?

I love unit 22. It's a great unit to predator call for bears in rugged/nasty canyon country. I've incidentally harvested two lions while bear calling in unit 22, so it's also a good unit for kitties.

my trail cameras have picked up more bears in unit 22 than any other unit...

my trail cameras have picked up more bears in unit 22 than any other unit...

What kind of strategy would I use in unit 22? And how would I know where to begin if I've never been there?

Strategy: Hunt hard, wear out the soles of your boots, glass and call, same as every other unit in the state. There is no majical answer you get from anyone on here.

Go put out trail cameras on every watersource that is not next to a road, the bears are thirsty and will come eventually...

just a few, from last year... in unit 22

Wow those are some nice bears! I might have to try unit 22 one day. Are most bears found above the rim or below it?

The Santa Ritas only have an archery bear season, 19August-29September...

I know this. That's what I'm hoping to do is to take one out with my bow

The Santa Ritas only have an archery bear season, 19August-29September...

Since When? See the regulations for General Bear Hunts in the Santa Rita Mountains (34A) Page 21 of the 2011 Spring hunt regulations. AZ Spring Hunt Regulations

Mar 18 - Apr 28, 2011 (1,2,3,7) 34A Any bear except sows with cubs 1

They have had this hunt for the past few years...

Been seeing alot of bears, but im sure this rain will change some things...

Hmmm... The 2011-2012 hunting/trapping regs only show the 19aug-29sept archery-only Bear hunt(page55)??? There more regulation booklets out??? Thanks for the info AzLance... I'm going to be in the Santa Ritas daily(after they re-open)and I would be glad to share any bear sightings with you TGG... Good Luck...

Awesome!! Yeah I can't wait till they reopen. Hopefully soon with this rain we have been getting. I also will be hitting it hard.