Sign in to follow this  
Chef

Range Report

I have been wanting to buy a conversion kit for a 1911 for quite some time.

Mainly to be able to afford to shoot more, since the price of .45 ammo has been so high.

I have a Colt ACE in .22 that is a dream to shoot, but it seems to be a collectors piece more than anything else now.

If I start needing to replace springs and bushings etc, it can cost me a little fortune.

So, after some consideration, I opted not to buy a slide conversion but purchase a .22 handgun instead.

being a 1911 fan, I wanted something similar to the ACE. There are a few that have come to market as of late, so

I was pretty excited to finally be able to buy one.

About two months ago I ordered a GSG (German Sport Gun) M1911 in .22LR with a 5" barrel.

It came in last week and after taking it apart and putting it back together, I hit the range yesterday.

The magazine is easy to load and holds ten rounds.

The first shot brought a smile to my face as I noticed a pleasant amount of recoil to make it feel like a "real" gun.

The slide appears to be aluminum so it cycles fine with .22 HV ammo.

Nice trigger, good weight, feels like a true 1911 in your hands.

As a matter of fact, a lot of the parts are directly interchangeable with a true 1911.

Needless to say, i love this pistol!

I do wish it came with non-plastic sights, although they do give you three front sights in different heights to swap out.

It isn't a high end 1911 by any means, but it sure makes it affordable to shoot more often and have fun at the range.

I fired 200 rounds, with only a few issues with cycling. (The loading ramp could be better designed)

Plus I bought the cheapest ammo I could find. Remington Golden bullet at $20 for 525 rounds.

Do some research and check it out if you've considered a .22 pistol purchase as of late.

Here is a target with 65 holes. Only 7 are outside of the circle. Not bad for this little gun! (double tapped at 15 feet)

post-67-0-89678300-1308805666_thumb.jpg

i love .22 auto pistols. i have a ruger and jc higgins that was made by high standard that i shoot a lot. also have a little berlinetta that i leave in my chaps most of the time. gunshow this weekend and i'll resume my search for a colt woodsman. never understood the .22 on a .45 frame tho. the feel a lot alike in your hand, but they don't have much in common when you shoot em. i have several .45's and don't have any desire to shoot one in .22. nothing wrong with the guns, don't misunderstand me. i'd just rather have a .22 auto that is a lot lighter and easier to shoot. ruger makes a .22 auto with a grip like a .45 too. and i will take any ace you want to give me. a friend of mine has a military 1911 that was made in .22. guess they made them for practice. it's all OD green and everything. Lark.

Nice Write-Up. What is the cost for the handgun?

Bill,

After my range member discount and tax, I was just shy of $350.

Lark,

Any more info on your friends military .22?

I'm intrigued now, as it sounds like something I would love to own.

Colts ACE was first made as a conversion kit and a complete pistol for practice purposes.

It was cheaper to shoot, and good practice for when handling the government model 1911.

Hence the reason I had been looking for a 1911 framed .22 as well.

all i remember about it is it was a green 1911 in .22 lr. he still has it. it says u s gov't on it. looks just like a .45, but it seems like it has a shorter barrel like an officer's model. he said it was for practice, so you don't have to put up with a .45 recoil and noise. like what you're looking for. i don't know if it was a colt or one of the dozen or so other outfits like underwood, singer etc that made 1911's. i think his is newer than ww2 tho, so i imgine it is a colt.