Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Wanting to buy a photo converter

I'm wanting to buy a converter so I can post some of my old photos on here and to save them to my computer. I have looked at many in the $100 - $200 range but haven't seen any reviews that were very good. Does anyone here have one and what would anyone recommend buying? I have hundreds of pictures just sitting in boxes that I don't even look at any more and thought this would be a good way to pass the time while the forests are closed down. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

TJ

I'm wanting to buy a converter so I can post some of my old photos on here and to save them to my computer. I have looked at many in the $100 - $200 range but haven't seen any reviews that were very good. Does anyone here have one and what would anyone recommend buying? I have hundreds of pictures just sitting in boxes that I don't even look at any more and thought this would be a good way to pass the time while the forests are closed down. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

TJ

TJ,

First off, are you talking prints or transparencies?

If prints, most any flatbed scanner will do what you want. If they are slides, you can get either a regular flatbed that has a 35mm slide adapter or a dedicated scanner that does various sized transparencies only. The latter will yield the best quality if large prints or publishing is the end goal. But the scanner/adapter set-up will give you passable quality for general use, such as posting on the Web.

Thanks Tony. I thought the converter sounded like a pretty easy way of putting pictures on a SD and then to the computer. I'm not to sharp on this computer stuff. :unsure: We had a scanner once but the wife threw it out. I just think we didn't know how to use it. :lol: I will look in to a scanner/adapter setup and their prices. I doubt I have anything that would be of publishing quality. Just wanted to get some of the old hunt/fish pictures out of the box before they deteriorate completely. :)

TJ

I use my scanner which is an all-in-one printer/fax/scanner. Works well. You might want to sell the printer you have an get an all-in-one unit so you can save space. The one I have is an HP and it's a very nice unit. Make sure whatever printer you get is designed to work with your computer's operating system (ie, Windows XP, or whatever you have).

Didn't we have this same discussion not too long ago?

Thanks Tony. I thought the converter sounded like a pretty easy way of putting pictures on a SD and then to the computer. I'm not to sharp on this computer stuff. :unsure: We had a scanner once but the wife threw it out. I just think we didn't know how to use it. :lol: I will look in to a scanner/adapter setup and their prices. I doubt I have anything that would be of publishing quality. Just wanted to get some of the old hunt/fish pictures out of the box before they deteriorate completely. :)

TJ

But...but...you didn't answer this:

"First off, are you talking prints or transparencies?"

My sister talked to somebody at walgreens or CVS. She said she had boxes and boxes of photos and negatives from our parents. They were slow and they did them all over a couple weeks in the summer time. She got a good deal on them. I think it was only $100-200 for a few thousand photos. They put them all on to CDs for her. Might be worth a try.

TJ

But...but...you didn't answer this:

"First off, are you talking prints or transparencies?"

Heck Tony, I don't even know what transparencies means and if old photos are called prints then the answer is prints. :D

This is not easy for me believe me. :blink:

TJ

I use my scanner which is an all-in-one printer/fax/scanner. Works well. You might want to sell the printer you have an get an all-in-one unit so you can save space. The one I have is an HP and it's a very nice unit. Make sure whatever printer you get is designed to work with your computer's operating system (ie, Windows XP, or whatever you have).

Didn't we have this same discussion not too long ago?

Thanks Amanda, we might have had this conversation before. Yea, you might be right but it just popped up in my head again. Things come around every once in a while when the old thinker gets spinning. :lol:

Thanks for the help but I would still like to hear from someone who has used a photo converter if any. :)

TJ

Amanda, what model printer/fax/scanner do you have? There are many HP's to choice from. Thanks! :)

TJ

Tony, I don't even know what transparencies means and if old photos are called prints then the answer is prints. :D

TJ

Tranparencies=slides, like the thingies you have to put in a projector to look at. If your photos are indeed just prints, any flatbed scanner will do the job.

And so for the next ?? -- what the heck is a photo converter???

EDIT: Never mind, I just did a google search and found them. They are nothing more than scanners. While they offer the photo scans, they don't give you the flexibilty to scan documents, etc. that a flatbed will.

Tony, I don't even know what transparencies means and if old photos are called prints then the answer is prints. :D

TJ

Tranparencies=slides, like the thingies you have to put in a projector to look at. If your photos are indeed just prints, any flatbed scanner will do the job.

And so for the next ?? -- what the heck is a photo converter???

EDIT: Never mind, I just did a google search and found them. They are nothing more than scanners. While they offer the photo scans, they don't give you the flexibilty to scan documents, etc. that a flatbed will.

Thanks Tony for your help. It looks like I'm going down to Best Buy and see what they got that I can handle with this old fasion brain of mine. Appreciate all the help from everyone. Maybe I'll share some pics before the day is done. :D

TJ

Amanda, what model printer/fax/scanner do you have? There are many HP's to choice from. Thanks! :)

TJ

Mine is a HP Officejet Pro L7590. It works great and it's fairly compact for an all-in-one. I bought it years ago though, so you might get the latest and greatest model.

I went and done it. Epson 725 printer/copier. Not sure what the heck I'm doing but here are a couple samples. It's been frustrating to say the least.

My first bass in 1955. I was 4 yrs old.

post-1903-0-87769400-1309748419_thumb.jpg

My first and only goose in 1989. I'm on the left. Apache Lake.post-1903-0-26383100-1309748474_thumb.jpg

One of my first coues deer from Mt Ore in the 80's

post-1903-0-03879700-1309748934_thumb.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I have something to do in my spare time.

TJ