Two days have come and gone. I came in early today to take a quick shower and eat a home cooked meal. :D

First morning I was in my stand at 6:30am. I guess I was pretty anxious to get to the stand. Bad thing about it, I was sweating more than I wanted. Why was I sweating? Well, because fat people sweat :D hehe.

The wind was howling at a constant 30mph, :huh: it was pretty disappointing. I sat on the tree swaying back and forth, back and forth. :D Everything changed at 8:13am when I saw my first buck of the season. He was 70 yards away making a scrape almost downwind from me. I put the 10x40 Ziess on him and counted 5 on one side and four on the other, a definite shooter. I say he would go pretty close to 110".

It felt as if someone had smashed a pair of Cymbals in my chest. I stood up and grabbed my bow hoping he would work his way towards me. Out of nowwhere comes this small three point (I think it was the same one in the Trail Cam picture).

fenceline020.jpg

He starts bouncing around, running back and forth. Just having a ball. The big buck payed no attention to Jr. I guess he wouldn't be much of a threat. Now he starts making his way closer to my stand. This is it BABY I told myself. I range him at 44 yards, well within my range but no clean shot and the wind blowing the way it was, I had to wait for him to get closer. I didn't want to wound him and ruin the hunt. He starts making his way behind my stand, exactly where I didn't want him to go. He stops 36 yards but no clean shot :blink:. He starts the tell tale, nose in the air, I know there's something wrong movements. He does a complete 180 and slowly walks away. I tried grunting, bleating, kicking, yelling, begging him to come back :D ,but the wind was just to loud. He slowly made his way back into the forest. It was pretty exciting for the next couple of hours just hoping he would appear again. I left the stand at 3:00 never seeing another deer and with motion sickness :blink: . Jason sat a waterhole all day never seeing one deer. I talk with a few of my Couesdeer maniac friends that were hunting up in the same area, and they never saw a deer. So I felt pretty lucky seeing what I did considering the weather.

Today was weak the winds had slowed down somewhat, at least enough to rattle and grunt. But nothing visited me today. I made a quick pass on the flat that I'm hunting and there at least 16 scrapes. The bucks are definetly here it's just a matter of getting the shot opportunity.

Here's what the country looks like

Gabeandtsb-day019.jpg

Pretty thick B)

To be continued!!!

Wow Tommy sounds like that was pretty exciting. I've got my fingers crossed that that big boy will give you another chance. That is some thick stuff and hopefully your in the thick of it :D

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Hang in there! Use that safety strap in those bending trees.

That buck will be back, and hopefully you will be there when that happens.

Day four is over for me. I got a call from a guy from Texas that wanted a Muledeer package for the Burro Mountains. I had to meet him in town to get him the maps and pointed in the right direction ;).

Day Three was real windy AGAIN ;) . I didn't see a single deer. I moved my tree stand about 70 yards to the East, the wind is swirling pretty bad so hopefully this will keep my scent away from the incoming trails.

I decided to hunt a totally different area today. I was hoping to get away from the wind, and boy did I. I got to treestand #2 at 6:30am. Talk about dead still, you could hear an ant fart :o . It was awesome, I sat quiet for an hour then I started a sequence of grunt, rattle, grunt. I heard foot steps behind me so I got ready just incase. It was a doe, she circled me and disappeared. I sat for an another hour and Grunted again. This time I saw movement coming towards me from my left. Before I could get ready, a spiked buck was standing not 18 yards from my stand. Thank God it wasn't a shooter there was no way I could move without being detected. The buck stood there for about five minutes looking for the bucks that were fighting. I decided to see if I could grab my bow and draw without spooking the buck. Well, I was able to get the bow but as soon as I started to draw, "whistle", GONE. :D I stayed in the stand until 1:00PM

OH yeah I set up a trail cam last Thursday on a scrape next to treestand #2. Looks like the bucks are hitting the scrape later in the evening, and at night.

scrape024.jpg

Looks like this one might be a shooter can't tell with the angle.

scrape050.jpg

Both pictures were taken on the same scrape. If you look at the date on the second pic, that was today!!! :blink:

Anyway headed back out in the morning to treestand #3. It's about an hour and a half walk. I'll leave you with yesterday's sunset.

scrape052.jpg

To be continued B)

Thanks for the update Tommy :o

That second buck looks like it would be real hard to pass on. Still got my fingers crossed for ya bud ;)

PS I got some great sunset pics from when I was in NM. Sure makem pretty down your way.

Man it looks like you found a good area with alot of bucks. Hope you end up getting that big ol' 110 incher.

Looks like a good buck to me. Hope you get him. Great pics, keep them coming. I bet the last pic will show you and a toad. Good luck.

You've definitely done your homework and deserve a big buck! I hope you get em', Good luck! JIM

I will let Tommy tell the story.. but it has been pretty rough out there... He is okay... I personally don't think they deer are in FULL rut yet.. It has been strange out there..

oh well.

j-

J- you sure Tommy isn't frozen to his treestand seat? Or maybe he is so facinated by the Javelina mating rituals he photographed he has given up on coues hunting forever?

Come on Tommy, were counting on you!

Kevin

UUHH...where do I begin. I haven't taken a shot in 14 days. I've had 13 bucks within shooting range. Three being 100" or better. The best opportunity to take a 100"+ buck was on Jan 10th.

I started the trek at 6:00am, my walk was exactly 1.26 miles to the treestand. It takes about an hour and a half to get there.

I had been in my stand for about an hour, I was watching three tassle eared squirrles playing and just having fun. I caught some movement from my right side about 100 yards down. I put the nocks up to reveal the biggest Coues buck I have ever seen to date. He had five on each side and had double eye guards. He was pushing 120+. He was making his way up the ridge towards me. The wind was perfect, it was blowing from him to me. The anticipation was just overwhelming but I managed to hold it together. He got to 50 yards and stopped, no shot. The woods were dead calm so any mistake on my part would have him in the next county. He started walking closer, still no shot . There was a clearing not 10 yards from where he stopped at exactly 30 yards. My time has come!!! All he had to do was take five more steps and the shot opportunity would be perfect. NO dice, his tail rose and he slowly trotted away leaving me in utter dismay of what had just happen. The wind must have shifted and he got of whif of something strange. It was just heartbreaking to see him walk away.

I passed on three bucks ranging 75" to 90" hoping to get another chance at the Monarch. Tomorrows the last day. I'll be sitting that stand for the last time. Hopefully luck will finally smile on me.