DesertBull

Sitting water!

That is an Awesome Buck!!! Congrats!!! Sitting in a blind, or a stand does not, in any way mean you'll get a shot!!! Not only do you sit there, keeping an eye out for your deer, but you alson sit there and worry about whether your wasting your time or not... It take decipline for sure... This dry weather helps though...

That is a great buck.. i agree with you that sitting water is where it is at... I have seen 7 different coues deer during the NM bowhunt.. I missed one and I could not get shots on the others.. I am in the cold little hole so I have been freeeeziingggg...

jason

I found a water hole in Oct that was being nailed by deer. My buddy and I went back in there in Dec and during that 6 week period the rancher had moved his cattle into that pasture. My buddy sat that tank four 4 hours and didn't see one deer. I hiked up onto a point and glassed. I saw several deer but they were all far away from where I was. They must have started watering somewhere else. We checked around the tank and there were no deer tracks. CB

Guest Reynaldo de la Torre
Not cool??? You have to have some major discipline to sit a water hole especially if nothings coming in and your in a tree stand all day. Hats off for that toad of a muley. I'm hoping my luck will change so far I have fifty hours on water and no shot oppurtunity yet.

Where does the skill and fair chase come in by using this tactic? It is the same as waiting in a stand over food that is planted specifically for them. It is like shooting cattle. There are feeders that "ring" when they are dispersing the food - the bell rings and deer come to eat and somebody shoots them. Then some guy says, "Wow. What a hunt!" Again it is just my opinion and I don't mean any offense.

Rey...

It is called pre-season scouting... That is where the challenge is... If you do your homework they will come... But if you are sitting a dead tank, there is nothing you can do...

jason

Rey...

It is called pre-season scouting...  That is where the challenge is...  If you do your homework they will come... But if you are sitting a dead tank, there is nothing you can do...

jason

I understand and don't think bad of anyone who does it - not really. I just don't think it is fair - considering how dry it is and has been - it's dry out there - and to wait for an animal at a water hole to me seems like cheating. My opinion of fair chase is not waiting over food and/or water to take them. I would wait for them on their way to a water hole but not at the water hole. It's kind of like chasing dogs around and shooting a cat or a bear out of a tree. All the hunter has to do is follow and I know that is hard - riding the horses and such - but there is no skill involved. Again no offense. If it is all legal it is all good.

Great Buck Desert Bull!!!

Hey De La-

You have obviously never been hunting with hounds. There is way more skill involved than you think, and "all you have to do is follow?," well come on anytime buddy. You are welcome to try and "follow" my dogs, and we'll see how fast your oppinions change about shooting an animal out of a tree.

And sitting, be it water or a trail or salt, is considered fair chase by all the hunting record books for a reason, CAUSE ITS NOT EASY.

Some of my easiest kills have been stalking, or just wandering around and happening onto an animal. But you bust your butt scouting and learning the animals habits, then set up an ambush accordingly, there is a bit more skill involved than you see....

Great Buck Desert Bull!!!

Hey De La-

You have obviously never been hunting with hounds.  There is way more skill involved than you think, and "all you have to do is follow?,"  well come on anytime buddy.  You are welcome to try and "follow" my dogs, and we'll see how fast your oppinions change about shooting an animal out of a tree.

And sitting, be it water or a trail or salt,  is considered fair chase by all the hunting record books for a reason, CAUSE ITS NOT EASY.

Some of my easiest kills have been stalking, or just wandering around and happening onto an animal.  But you bust your butt scouting and learning the animals habits, then set up an ambush accordingly, there is a bit more skill involved than you see....

ok.

I just figured out how to get a lion hunt of a lifetime! Piss off the houndsmen :D .

How are you Tom?

Kevin

Hey Rey, here is an open invitation to follow my dogs around. p.m. if you are interested.

I would love to. However right now I have a fishing trip for some kids (at risk kids ) to schedule and make all arrangements. I also have to get started with my school stuff for my Ed. Degree. I also have my archery program to work on. i'm tired of waiting on G&F so I am working another angle. When and where? Maybe I can go. I really did n't mean to put anyone down (don't take it like that) or criticize anyones ehtics. It is a legal thing to do and I can see that ranchers in particular have to take care of buisness. This is a discussion forum and we are all grown ups and can agree to disagree right? I really would go if I could. What are you going after ?

"All the hunter has to do is follow and I know that is hard - riding the horses and such - but there is no skill involved. "

Reynaldo I refuse to agree to disagree. That statement is the absolute most asinine thing I have read on the internet in quite a while. "No skill involved" why them is fightin' words. I have 15 big game western big game animals with a bow and the hardest thing I have ever done is hound hunt by far. If you think it is just a matter of following a pack of dogs around until they tree you are sorely mistaken. As far as the ethics are concerned try training a pack of dogs and then come and tell me how unfair it is. Try tring a mule to do what you want without dying in the process and come and tell me how easy that was. Try riding a mule along some rim rock cliffs without urinating in your chonies and then come talk to me about how it takes no skill. I average a lion or a bear around every 8 times out. Even the best houndsmen in az probably at best average 1 for every 3 or 4 days out. Once the dogs are on the ground you are basically at their mercy as far as where you will end up on the end of a track. If you enjoy riding a mule or hiking from sun up to sun down this is the sport for you.

"All the hunter has to do is follow and I know that is hard - riding the horses and such - but there is no skill involved. "

Reynaldo I refuse to agree to disagree. That statement is the absolute most asinine thing I have read on the internet in quite a while. "No skill involved" why them is fightin' words. I have 15 big game western big game animals with a bow and the hardest thing I have ever done is hound hunt by far.  If you think it is just a matter of following a pack of dogs around until they tree you are sorely mistaken. As far as the ethics are concerned try training a pack of dogs and then come and tell me how unfair it is. Try tring a mule to do what you want without dying in the process and come and tell me how easy that was. Try riding a mule along some rim rock cliffs without urinating in your chonies and then come talk to me about how it takes no skill. I average a lion or a bear around every 8 times out. Even the best houndsmen in az probably at best average 1 for every 3 or 4 days out. Once the dogs are on the ground you are basically at their mercy as far as where you will end up on the end of a track. If you enjoy riding a mule or hiking from sun up to sun down this is the sport for you.

Well said Tom, By the way I like your new site ;)

Rey..

I know that you seem to spend alot of time with future hunters.. Please stress to them that as hunters we need to stick together and not take pot shots at legal ways of hunting..

Jason :ph34r: