Sign in to follow this  
juliuscesar

Elk In the Pines

Hi, i'm trying to scout the area i'm going to hunt and saw a few elk, but they are all in the pine tree forest, not many spots to glass, now my question is how do you hunt elk in the thick forest? do you still hunt, do you hunt the edges of the meadows? or sit around where they go for water? i'm talking about the late bull hunt in late november, i know that there is lots of people in the site with a lot of experience, and any tips will be welcome, thank you.

My experience hunting elk in the pines that time of year is to find elevation. Hills, small mountains, knobs away from roads. Most guys are driving roads on these hunts. Climb some hills and you will eventually find them.

Try finding areas not so thick. For example, broken cedars/juniper country or canyon's. At least where you can glass better. Are you sure those bulls will be there in late November? Or at least the majority of them? Good luck

There usually is fresh snow in the November hunt. Find tracks made during the night and concentrate your efforts there.

Bill Quimby

go in there after em. if they're in the rut, especially with a bow, that's where you want em. get right in the middle of the herd where all the action is. if things get hot enough, a good one might run right by you chasing a cow or another bull. there ain't a whole lot that is more exciting. get in there and become a member of the herd. really. you can do it. if you're rifle hunting, especially if you have some snow, you can track em up an shoot em too. especially in the later seasons when the bigger bulls have left the the big herds. if you know what to look at, you can tell a bull's bed from a cow's, real easy. elk live in the thick stuff most of the time. you can hunt elk all day long, from first light until dusk. don't let the middle part of the day get away from you. Lark.