Sign in to follow this  
cpugsie

Drew Unit 27 Upper San Fran River Area for 2011

My good buddy Kevin at work drew the only Rocky Mountain Unit 27 Upper SanFrancisco River Area Tag today. He's looking for any info on where to start scouting from anyone who has hunted this unit previously or knows anything about the unit. He's knows its a difficult hunt with low success odds but is willing to put in his time. Thanks!

Carl

This is the first year this unit has been open for sheep in a long time if not forever. There is a chance for a huge ram, he is just going to have to start putting in the time. Access in this unit is very limited. I hope he is in shape. How many points did he have?

Congratulations to your buddy. I hope he pulls off a big sheep. :)

TJ

Kevin is in Excellent shape and he is up for this challenge. He definetely realizes what he is up against in terms of access and terrain. Since he has not been into the area yet, he does have concerns about sheep numbers in there.

I had 12 points since I was last drawn for Desert Big horn in 2001. I know how fortunate I am to have both. I am of course extrememly excited about this opportunity. I should be in much better shape by the time the hunt comes around because I will be doing as much scouting between now and then as possible. Luckily I have excellent friends and support like Mike and Carl who are some of the best glassers I have ever been with. Also, any info on this unit would be very appreciated. Thanks! I will keep you all posted on my progress and hopefully success.

-kev

I had 12 points since I was last drawn for Desert Big horn in 2001. I know how fortunate I am to have both. I am of course extrememly excited about this opportunity. I should be in much better shape by the time the hunt comes around because I will be doing as much scouting between now and then as possible. Luckily I have excellent friends and support like Mike and Carl who are some of the best glassers I have ever been with. Also, any info on this unit would be very appreciated. Thanks! I will keep you all posted on my progress and hopefully success.

-kev

Congrats on the tag! Welcome to the site, and the best of luck to you! PM sent!

A friend shot a ram in 27 that went 189 in. last year and had another one with him that was simillar in size. Goood Luck.

I would like to talk to your friend by phone as I have the 27/28 tag this year.

Mark

The San Francisco river canyon is full of sheep. I have been wondering for the past several years why they didn't have a sheep tag in there. When bear hunting in there, we used to see sheep every day. Steep country though... Also saw two full curl rams butting heads a couple of years ago, awesome sight to see and hear, as they were only 90yds away.

You are one lucky guy.

Congrats!!! There are some big Rams in there.

Congrats!!! There are some big Rams in there.

Also to AZLance, do you have any suggestions of where to look? I am planning a trip up on september 2nd and thought about starting up near the Martinez ranch area on the San Fransisco river and the Blue river canyons. I want to also check out the Pipe Stem area as there are sheep there too. I am always open to suggestions and welcome any help. And to Younghunter, I am lucky and want to make the best of this hunt and also, nice Buck antelope you have there, what did he score? Keep huntin'!!