SouthernCouesHunter

Do the nerves ever calm down???

I have been archery hunting coues for about three years now. Have had six shots in previous years and have taken two shots the last two nights. I am seeing the deer in plenty of time to prepare but it seems that when I come to full draw it feels like an earthquake is underneath me. Does anyone else experience this? Is there anything that I can do to control the adrenaline?

Thanks

Brian

if you dont feel the adrenaline you should stop huntin.it makes you feel alive its the best natural high you can get embrace it dont try and stop it. :lol:

I'll second what ultramag said and holy cow, I wish I knew your secret for getting that many shots. I haven't shot my bow at a deer in almost 6 years. I'm finding deer, its just they are sooooo far away, and then I mess it up trying to get close.

Just like those guys said, if you stop getting that excited, then it's time to quit and thats awesome you are getting those opportunities to get that excited! My advice is to try and think about your shot, think about trying to hold your pin on a small spot on the deer. Concentrate hard and think about your form and then follow through with the release. By thinking more about these things and not about killing a coues might calm you down a bit. I didn't start killing big game with my bow until the first time I actually talked myself through the shot and focused on every step in order, rather than starting with the tag on the antler! :lol: JIM

Pick a spot,pick a spot,pick a spot,pic a spot.Thats what I tell myself over and over as I'm drawing the bow back.You"ll get your deer just remember,the deer won't die if the arrow don't fly. :lol: :blink:

I say go through your progression. In other words, picture your self clipping up to the string, then with rythm pull pack. Settle the pin and pick a spot (just as stated). Then tell your mind and be sure that you have chosen the right pin and let er FLY! My first kill was a 5x6 bull that was 21 yards. I will never forget that.

The coues target is much smaller, but you are getting the opportunity, just need to complete the shot and good things will come!

Good luck!

Arizona Pope and Young

The first bull elk I killed was bugleing and slinging snot. I was so shook up before and after the shot I was nearly sick. I remember focussing on making the shot and blocking out the rest. 25 yard shot, 25 yard recovery. An hour after I set down next to him I was still shaking.

I think what helped me focus was shooting with groups of jokesters and dingleberrys at 3D shoots and indoor leagues. With all the commotion going on it makes me focus on my shot and practicing tuning out the noise, laughter etc. I think helped me focus during the hunt. Plus it makes the shoots a lot of fun. Most people take shoots too seriously for my taste!

Good luck and like several others said, when you aren't excited anymore take some time off and take up golf.

Kevin

Thanks to all that replied. I will definitely try those things the next time I get a shot. I love archery hunting but am getting so discouraged by taking so many shots and not being able to connect. I have even put in extra hours of practice at night on the block under high beam headlights to ensure that the bow wasn't out of wack.

Brian

when you practice do you shoot at a bale or a 3D target? If you shoot a deer everytime you pull back your bow it will be easier to imagine success when the deer is real.

Southerncoueshunter

Man, I totally agree with Grizzly! If you buy a 3d deer target and practice, practice, practice. I think it really helps! If you don`t get excited it wouldn`t be that rewarding. The 3d target kinda adds a lot of realistic practice and when the time comes its gonna feel kinda like something you have done a thousand times. I bought the smallest little delta target that Sportsmans wharehouse had(riverbottom buck) and it is really a lot of fun. Makes you realize real quick your effective shooting range.

Good luck Rich Thompson

I'm not a bow hunter, but what you are experiencing is an over reaction to the stress of the situation. This is similar to the high stress reactions law enforcement officers experience when involved in shooting incidents. You probably have narrowing of your vision (tunnel vision) and your hearing will even taper off to nothing, and things will go into a slow motion. I didn't even recall the recoil or report of my .300 on my deer this year.

there aren't many ways to deal with it other than praticing so much that your actions are automatic, like driving a car. Mentally you need to try to visualize every pratice shot as if it is the real thing. Deep seated visualizations have the same effect on the brain as if doing the real thing. It's just that most people don't achieve the level of concentration needed to get those visualizations. Another trick is to artifically introduce a level of stress. We use exercise to simulate the stresses involved.

After shooting for a while, run, do some pushups,and situps. then with your muscles burning, heart pumping and sucking air, immediately go back to shooting while visualizing that it is a real deer. This won't make the stress or excitment go away, it will just better prepare you to perform and enjoy the rush rather than let it ruin your shot.

Think of it as muscle memory with stress introduced.

My $0.02

Matt