hey everyone I am just wondering if hunting access is allowed into the burned areas of 29. I realize that much of the unit is closed to camping but what about hunting?

My dad called a couple days ago and they said public access would not be allowed until oct 15.

Brian

Access is only allowed to those that have access permits to rebuild/repair structures. The forest is closed until 10/15. USFS law enforcement is out down there and will cite if you are in the forest without a permit. The roads are barricaded with notices.

My rifle hunt starts on Oct 21, so this is going to be interesting. Obviously, there will be no scouting this year, but I'm going to the same canyon where my buddy got his 3x4 last year. It would be nice to tag a bear as well, but 29 and 30 are in the same hunt so I doubt the season will be open by then.

with all the nutirent rich burn area and summer monsoons fueling new growth at the same time as the antlers are growing maybe it will be a good year for racks there!

Here is an update on unit 29...re-opening on 9/24...I was down there on Tuesday and the mountains look great. The areas that were "torched" are green on the ground, but the areas that were low to medium intensity burns are hard to even see any signs of a burn. Mother Nature is amazing....

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/documents/D1Opensweb.pdf

Nice. Anybody know what kind of damage, if any, the fire did to the area around Jhus Canyon and Paradise? Looking forward to making it down there to see the aftermath of the fire but trying to focus on my unit 23 hunt for now.

Ya i was going to say they got a lot of rain..so should be very green. Good luck to everyone.

This is going to be an interesting hunt right after the burn. I picked up a leftover tag. I am brand new to this site. I kept reading all the post and decided I better join.