Sign in to follow this  
brantex1122

Unit 34B hints

Drew 34B, done some scouting - few hits in French Joes Canyon area and near Sands Ranch deep in hills; curious to see if anyone has spots/maps they recommend. Thanks - New guy

Go to Wide World of Maps and get a topo or BLM Maps. Look for water and get high and glass and do a lot of walking.

unfortunately I have not hunted that unit for several years. know a couple of guys that went 2 for 2 in that unit two years ago but then I know another guy that has gone 0 - 4 over the last 4 years. deer populations are way down in this unit (lots of speculation on lion impact). access also makes it tough. good luck on what might be a tough hunt.

French Joe Canyon is a zoo durring any of the rifle hunts...

thanks - watched that area and saw a few last time we were out camping and javelina hunting -- I also noticed a good group by sands ranch - both area also had lots of cat sign; ever hit on the other side closer to 83?

unfortunately I have not hunted that unit for several years. know a couple of guys that went 2 for 2 in that unit two years ago but then I know another guy that has gone 0 - 4 over the last 4 years. deer populations are way down in this unit (lots of speculation on lion impact). access also makes it tough. good luck on what might be a tough hunt.

yeah noticed a lot of cat sign while we were out in the area javelina hunting and exploring - havent had too many issues with access, been able to drive/walk a lot of areas - thanks

i would say go in off 83 into empire ranch rd. you can get to both the wetstones and the empire mts from there. There are some great glassing spot in both. I Think the empire mts have more deer because of lions in the wetstones. There some big bucks in there, but they are tuff to find. good luck

I am new here as you can see by the fact this is my 4th post but if someone can just tell me where I can kill a 100" whitetail it would be awesome. I really am quite computer illiterate and can't use google earth to find waterholes and such. I here this forum is the best place on the web to cyber scout.

Thanks in advance....

If you are the walking type go behind Kartchner from French Joe's old ranch house to the right at the fork in the road. If you hike north along the fence you will find a road from Kartchner. There is a small pond right off that road. If you go up the road back into the canyon you will find a windmill and tank. That whole canyon looked good two years ago when I was last there. I spotted two bucks on the ridge behind the pond and tons of sign there. Good luck!