JVS

New G&F commisioner

Good Crap, sounds like the good ol' governer has appointed a tree hugger as commissioner. I'm not saying she is, but by reading the biography it sure sounds like she is more for frogs and condors than elk and deer??? I'd like to know how many hunting and fishing licenses she has bought over the past five years. The last part of the article says she will protect hunting and fishing...? What do you think? Can someone please tell me she is not a hippie. Read this:

Governor Napolitano appoints new Game and Fish commissioner

PHOENIX - Governor Napolitano has announced her appointment of Jennifer Martin of Phoenix as the new commissioner of the Arizona Game and Fish Department. She will replace W. Hays Gilstrap, pending Senate confirmation.

Martin graduated from Northern Arizona University with a degree in biology and specializes in wildlife management. She has previously worked with the International Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies Conference and the North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference. She is also a former Game and Fish Department employee.

Martin also previously served in the Peace Corps and has used her biology background to draft the National Bird Program Strategic Plan for the federal Bureau of Land Management.

In addition to her scientific background in wildlife management, Martin is noted for her strong respect for fishing and hunting, and her strong desire to keep hunting open for all who wish to hunt.

i hate to say i told ya so, but i told ya so. won't be long now. dang, i can hear montana callin' louder everyday. Lark.

HOLY SHNIEKEYS!!! Let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best.

I have read the press release several times and I don't understand what it contains that alarms you or makes you believe that she might be a "tree hugger". The IAFWA is composed of game and fish departments from throughout the US and abroad. The North American Wildlife conference is the oldest national technical meeting of wildlife biologists and wildlife scientists who are either academics or employees of natural resources management agencies (or branches of their agencies that are concerned with natural resources management). I have attended many of these meetings and the programs are heavily weighted toward exactly the kinds of subjects and concerns that are often debated on this site.

I don't know in what capacity she worked for Arizona G&F, but I would much rather see someone with professional training and experience in natural resources management on the commission than someone who simply contributed a sufficient number of dollars to the governor's campaign so that he or she can attempt to see their crackpot ideas become agency policy. Give the lady a chance!

Alright, alright. We'll give her a chance. It's just that I hear phrases like peace corps, National Bird Program Strategic Plan and Flagstaff and I think hippie. Doesn't sound like hunting to me. No offense to any of you that have contributed to those programs. Anyway, I guess they can say what they want in a press release. Do we ever get any truth in a press release related to a political move? let's just see what happens. There's nothing we can do at this point...

The Arizona Deer Association board voted last night to oppose Jennifer's appointment. It seems to us that she just doesn't have the depth of experience that a commissioner should have. We will be sending a letter to the governor. There were several qualified people to choose from and it surprised me that the governor picked Jennifer, the one with the least experience. Art Pearce is who we voted to support instead. I don't know if the ADA's input will receive much notice, but I thought I would let you guys know.

Amanda

I think it is strange how so many of us thought she sounded like a "tree hugger" after reading the press release.

Did not find much on her in my research so I will have to go with my first inclination and that of the ADA board.

Smells like a political quid pro quo...

Heck Janet would never do that.... would he?

LOL!!!!!!! That was hilarious az4life!!!

JVS,

What do you mean when you hear "Flagstaff" that you think hippie??!

Just 'cause when the Game Dept dispatches a problem lion we gather in a circle at the base of mt Elden, hold hands, burn sage and pray to... well... something...like some great higher power or something...so that the Mountain Lions spirit will rise... to... well... somewhere, or morph into a ravan, er, yeah, that's it - a spiritual ravan that will help us in our lives!

We should be commended for writing letters to the editor, saying things like, "It would be honorable to die in the jaws of such a magnificant animal. This would be better than killing a lion just because man percieves it as a problem."

AND YOU CALL US FLAGSTFFIANS HIPPIES???!!!

Mike

Attention all hippies:

I have some magical crystals for sale, CHEAP.

If you rub them just right, you'll draw the tag of your choice next year.

If you misuse them, for evil purposes, you will wake up the following morning with a craving for bean sprouts and tofu.

Reading Jennifer's write-up reminds me of the wonderful time that we Flagstaffians read poetry to the prairie dogs during their release into their new "digs".

It was a shame that they had to be transplanted. It's not their fault that man built a city around their town, But at least they were moved with love and compassion.

Mike

I took the professor's class that claims to know everything about the dogs. He has some rusian or czec last name. Anyway, Rembrant, I lived in Flag for 2 years. Don't get me wrong when I stereotype flag people, but you gotta admit, it's the hippie capitol, just short of woodstock.

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe her lack of experience and qualifications. Talk about Weak, and she even screwed up the wording of her qualifications page terribly inadequate for someone who was a "detail oriented" freelace writer..

She wrote:

"I have proven my ability to maintain quality in fast paced environment, operate as a self starter, and build motivation confidence in those around me".

Really the whole paragraph is poorly written, but this gives an example

"I have proven my ability to maintain quality in a fast paced environment, operate as a self starter, and build motivation and confidence in those around me".

This has got to be a back room deal of some sort. Based on the things written on our threads, We have members here that are infinitely more qualified. ;)

If she is the most qualified candidate, I will eat my hat.

Amanda, thanks for posting this for all to see!

She may have been chosen for other experience or qualifications, the same way some guys choose a secratary.