andygrand

Vortex Custom Turrets

Short and to the point. I have never shot with custom turrets, and I am looking at the vortex custom turret.I have killed deer out to 500 yards just by knowing my hold and shooting that way. I hand load and have a load for deer that I have used and will use forever. Process to develop data is no problem. I am concerned the custom elevation turret won't be what I am hoping they will. I want to be able to range, dial a distance and hold right on the target. I have heard that will only work if the scope is on max power, or that it has to be on the same power you sighted it in on. I don't want to lose the ability to use the variable powers. What is your experience with turrets, and specifically the vortex ones. Is their anything I need to do different as far as mounting the scope (i.e, special rings or base)? Thanks in advance.

Turrets and dialing have nothing to do with FFP or SFP scopes. As far as mounting a scope, if you plan to dial alot of elevation you need to look into using a MOA base.

Turrets and dialing have nothing to do with FFP or SFP scopes. As far as mounting a scope, if you plan to dial alot of elevation you need to look into using a MOA base.

+1 and also make sure your scope is level with the action if not your ups will b going at an angle I use a 20 moa base

Short and to the point. I have never shot with custom turrets, and I am looking at the vortex custom turret.I have killed deer out to 500 yards just by knowing my hold and shooting that way. I hand load and have a load for deer that I have used and will use forever. Process to develop data is no problem. I am concerned the custom elevation turret won't be what I am hoping they will. I want to be able to range, dial a distance and hold right on the target. I have heard that will only work if the scope is on max power, or that it has to be on the same power you sighted it in on. I don't want to lose the ability to use the variable powers. What is your experience with turrets, and specifically the vortex ones. Is their anything I need to do different as far as mounting the scope (i.e, special rings or base)? Thanks in advance.

The turrets will only be as accurate as the data you give them. Call Vortex, they are very helpful.

The turrets are not dependent on magnification. They work (or don't work) at any magnification. The holdover lines you see on BDC scopes are magnification sensitive though.

IMO, the turrets are good for out to about 600 yards, after that; elevation, temperature, etc start to effect the bullet drop too much and you need to be using MOA and software to dial your scope

Thanks for the info. I only intend to shoot out to 600 yards with this gun. As far as the data that I give them, it should be very accurate. I am going to be able to cronograph my loads to test muzzle velocity. I use a bullet with a high ballistic coefficient, and I always use the same powder primers, and cases. This set up will be going on a savage rifle, and my intent is to have the turrets work from 200-600 maybe 700 yards. Do you think that would require a 20 MOA base? Is there a disadvantage to putting a MOA base if I may not need it? Thanks again for helping a newbie

Unless you've spent a lot of $$$ on a good chronograph, it would be better to measure the actual drop at different distances.

Unless you've spent a lot of $$$ on a good chronograph, it would be better to measure the actual drop at different distances.

I have a very good cronograph, and I know the drop at different distances for this bullet combination.

What is a good chronograph? I plan on doing the Vortex turrets but do not have a chronograph. I've seen Chrony's for 60-70 bucks. Are these good? I just hate to spend a lot on a machine that will get limited use.

I did the turret process and I can tell you that if you do the Trajectory validation process you don't need the good chronograph. It validates your muzzle velocity reading for you. Very accurate and user friendly process. My turrets are dead on.

I have a Vortex also and keep waffling on the turrets. In AZ the altitude and temp conditions can be so radically different that it is probably easier to use shooter or print range cards from the Vortex site than be worried my turret is off for the conditions. Of course i may change my mind again. :)