Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Blind Question

I'm making a concerted effort to sit a blind even though I much prefer to still hunt or spot/stalk in order to break my archery deer curse. I'm in the pines/oaks, off a pretty big trail and somebody's salt I found. This is my 2nd full day sitting and I've had 4 does come by from 20-100 yards out and gobs of turkey 10 of which roosted over my blind last night - still no shot opportunities but very close! I will say that 14 hours a day in a blind kinda sux...I've sat before but never dark to dark for multiple days.

Anyway im pretty freakin bored and was just looking for advice on how much time I should give this spot considering no bucks yet. I spooked the birds a little (not bad) this morning tryin to get a shot - hope they come back.

pm sent. :)

TJ

I will be curious to see the answers to this post. I have alway's wondered what it would be like sitting in a ground blind in August weather in AZ.

sounds like you at least had some action to keep your head in the game.

just completed my 5th day sitting a blind in the desert...one doe.......started off with high exceptions as I got great pics on cam and the bucks were coming into the water regularly. The blind was setup about a week in advanced, brushed it in real well. Took precautions to keep my scent down, got in the blind before sunup and left twice after sundown. Trail cam showed deer quit watering all together... then I found another water source in the area and setup there. Cam showed the bucks moved there, but were watering at night....today I packed up my blind and called it a learning experience after 8 hours with not a thing.

Maybe they smelt me, spooked by my blind or I walked thru their bedding areas or ???

Should get to hunt next weekend, I plan on going to a higher cooler elevation and spot and stalk or setup on a water source.

early season is tough, I have a darn tree stand need to set it up in the pines where its not 105+ degrees

i don't know a whole lot about hunting but i am very persistent with it and i hunted a ground blind for 8 straight days. Day and night with only 2 hour lunch breaks each day. now i had great pictures of big stud bucks so i waited it out and i finally got a shot on third morning at a forky buck which was fine and i missed then kept at it for a few more days and finally had a shot at the stud i wanted and i missed that shot too.... so i am saying persistence will pay off i think but my buddies also said i was crazy for sitting so long.you have to be confident if you have good evidence they are there i have been told. but what do i know i'm a first year hunter :-)

My first 3 days were in the pinyons for coues. I glassed up 2 does when I took a break from the blind 0 deer from the blind and 103 degrees. Moved to the pines to an area I hunted a couple years ago hoping for a good acorn turn out and a chance to run into a bear. It was rainin when I came in so I still hunted and had 8 does/fans from 18-80 yards and then I found this spot. 90 degrees today. 2 turkeys came back tonight and roosted about 80 yards from the blind. At least I have them to keep me occupied off and on. Plan is to skip the blind at first light and ambush those birds just up the hill when they come off the roost. I hope I can at least pull a turkey out of this hunt. Haven't seen a buck yet. If I can't turn one up by noon tomorrow I'm movin on to my last area for my last couple days.

Well my little turkey ambush worked perfectly except I missed the shot. I set up just above the roost probably no more than 60 yards. They gobbled a few times then flew down and worked their way uphill. I was kneeling behind a small group of oaks next to the fence and knew they'd cross within range on either side of me. One tree was at 23 yards the next was at 34 and they were movin right for that gap. I tried to settle on him with the 30 yd pin but he was walking, pauesed for a second and when i released he turned away from me and the arrow missed left by about an inch. Wish they woulda come on the near side for an easier shot. Glad to know my strategy worked but like I said, I'm cursed...