wyohunter

Access to Skeleton Canyon Area

Hey Fellow Coues hunters,

I drew out area 27 for December and I'm finding a deadend trying to access Skeleton Canyon. I'e even tried contacting some outfitters that say they have access,no luck. Any ideas.

wyohunter

First you say you drew a unit 27 December tag, then you say you drew a 36A December tag. Which one is it??? The law saws only one draw at a time, and they have not offered 2 draw tags a year in 20 years.

Since there isn't a 36a coues tag in New Mexico, I assume his 36a tag is AZ, and the 27 is New Mex. Quite a year! Couple of great tags.

You will find access to Skeleton tough. 27 means a ton of hiking. Good hunt.

In response to your other post, the best time to be in 36a is the last week of the hunt. But, with a 27NM tag, I'd just head for AZ when your done.

Pm me if you have questions on either hunt.

First you say you drew a unit 27 December tag, then you say you drew a 36A December tag. Which one is it??? The law saws only one draw at a time, and they have not offered 2 draw tags a year in 20 years.

Sorry pal I should have been more clear for you,Unit 27 is in New Mexico and 36A is in AZ both Dec hunts.

Don't know about the NM side but you use to be able to access Skeleton canyon from the AZ side through Apache AZ off Hwy 80. You just follow the signs to Geronimo's surrender site. I know the rancher blocked access a while back and I don't know if it's been reopened or not. Need to be careful of some of the ranchers in that area some seem to think leased public land translates to private deeded land. Good luck.

PS. I also understood this to be a different hunt from your 36a hunt becuase this thread was posted in hunting NM and knowing that Skeleton Canyon is in 30A in AZ and 27 in NM.

Since there isn't a 36a coues tag in New Mexico, I assume his 36a tag is AZ, and the 27 is New Mex. Quite a year! Couple of great tags.

You will find access to Skeleton tough. 27 means a ton of hiking. Good hunt.

In response to your other post, the best time to be in 36a is the last week of the hunt. But, with a 27NM tag, I'd just head for AZ when your done.

Pm me if you have questions on either hunt.

Thanks for the info. It does appear that the landowners have all but shut down access to75000 plus acres. I did get hold of one landowner would said that he was doing guided hunts in Skeleton C, and was going to get back with me, but after several phone calls to him-no call back. I used to hunt there 20 years ago. What a great place!! N Mexico is Dec 3-11 then the rest of the month forAz Sure beats Wyoming in Dec! Maybe a helicopter would work ha ha

The access to Skeleton is going to be hard. I work down in that area as a Law enforcement officer in New Mexico. The ranchers have a tight grip on it at this time. I know one of the land owners in the area and will check on access for you?

I'm backpacking into that area at the end of October for a ML coues hunt. Shoot me a PM. The access is limited, but available, you just have to be ready to do a backpack trip. It's only a few miles into Skeleton canyon but when you get back in there, you know you're in the "wild west". There's not a lot of water, plenty of illegals and even the hardened "mules".

I did it a couple years back solo and by the second night I decided I would take the first 3x I saw just because I was so on-edge the whole time I was there. I just wanted to come home to my family, but not burn my tag. Shot a decent 3x4, knowing there were much bigger bucks in there.

I can tell you this, when you get back in that area, all alone, with no cell coverage, a hunt takes on a whole different perspective. The country is pretty open and when you've got a bivy pack and a full moon, you feel very isolated. I was 15 yards or so from a major trail and had coatis in my camp all night. I literally slept with a 9MM Beretta in my hand all night wishing it was a pump 12 guage. My "camp" was a lightly sheltered draw several miles from the closest road. One-two-three days draw on forever out there if you are alone and it can get flat-out creepy.

That said, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. There might be no better coues hunting anywhere. If you can handle the danger, the isolation, the lack of water and communication with the "outside world", it's an amazing place to hunt.

Luckily, this time I am going in with a good friend who knows the area and has hunted it multiple times and taken a couple bucks over 100 inches and has seen some well over the 'twenties' even some 130+ class bucks.

I think it will be a lot different this time, not being completely alone. Just having that second person along makes it so different in your whole mental attitude.

Here's hoping this time I won't settle for a 90's buck when there are so many in there in the upper teens and beyond. I hope you find one like that too.

For sure, send a PM, there is public land that leads to where you are tyring to get. I'll show you the maps to get in there.

The access to Skeleton is going to be hard. I work down in that area as a Law enforcement officer in New Mexico. The ranchers have a tight grip on it at this time. I know one of the land owners in the area and will check on access for you?

That would be great I really need some help!! Please let me know as soon as you contact him.

That would be great I really need some help!! Please let me know as soon as you contact him.

I thought aout it last night after reading your reply, did I meet you and your son on Geronimo trail last year? If it was you I had lost your contact info before I got back to Wyoming.

I'm backpacking into that area at the end of October for a ML coues hunt. Shoot me a PM. The access is limited, but available, you just have to be ready to do a backpack trip. It's only a few miles into Skeleton canyon but when you get back in there, you know you're in the "wild west". There's not a lot of water, plenty of illegals and even the hardened "mules".

I did it a couple years back solo and by the second night I decided I would take the first 3x I saw just because I was so on-edge the whole time I was there. I just wanted to come home to my family, but not burn my tag. Shot a decent 3x4, knowing there were much bigger bucks in there.

I can tell you this, when you get back in that area, all alone, with no cell coverage, a hunt takes on a whole different perspective. The country is pretty open and when you've got a bivy pack and a full moon, you feel very isolated. I was 15 yards or so from a major trail and had coatis in my camp all night. I literally slept with a 9MM Beretta in my hand all night wishing it was a pump 12 guage. My "camp" was a lightly sheltered draw several miles from the closest road. One-two-three days draw on forever out there if you are alone and it can get flat-out creepy.

That said, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. There might be no better coues hunting anywhere. If you can handle the danger, the isolation, the lack of water and communication with the "outside world", it's an amazing place to hunt.

Luckily, this time I am going in with a good friend who knows the area and has hunted it multiple times and taken a couple bucks over 100 inches and has seen some well over the 'twenties' even some 130+ class bucks.

I think it will be a lot different this time, not being completely alone. Just having that second person along makes it so different in your whole mental attitude.

Here's hoping this time I won't settle for a 90's buck when there are so many in there in the upper teens and beyond. I hope you find one like that too.

For sure, send a PM, there is public land that leads to where you are tyring to get. I'll show you the maps to get in there.

It is one of a kind place. It would be nice to see your maps and access route. Would horses be able to make it in your way? Five years ago a landowner let us in but no more. He's sayed our horses would eat to much grass in 7 days. Keep in mind this is national forest land not his!!

I'll be down there on the November rifle hunt and was looking at this area and a couple others, but the forest map shows everything with locked gates. I don't mind hiking but will be hunting alone, so I definitly have some concerns with the potential for trouble by myself. I juts hope I can find some country to hunt!

Been out of the country on an extended trip. I was wondering if you had any additional info in access to Skeleton Canyon. Really need some help running out of time. Thanks wyohunter

Strap on a pack with overnight gear and start hiking! Seems like that is the story for all that area. Land owners have all the access locked up.