Sign in to follow this  
TREESTANDMAN

WATER IN JANUARY

I was just curious to see if anyone has tried sitting water in december or january. I know that some days in january can get pretty hot and it seems to me that night time is a little chilly to be going to get water. I have never tried it but I would love to get your opinions or experience.

I have hunted water in dec and jan, it works if there isnt much hunting pressure around. Deer will use the same water holes day in and day out if they are not under pressure.

Good Luck

GMM

A couple years ago I was guiding 3 bowhunters in 36C and after a couple days of frustrating stalks they all decided to sit water holes. Within 2 days all three had killed deer amazingly! One was a nice 4x4 muley and the other 2 were Coues does. On that 4th day I was sitting a nearby waterhole just to see what would come in. I had one Coues doe and fawn come in as well as a small 2pt buck. I'd have no problem sitting water this time of year, especially as warm as it's been the past 2 days.

Josh

Guest Ernesto C

Hey Josh I did not knew you can hunt does in the lower units a cuople of years ago. I know there us to be some doe permits in the north sideof the state.

Ernesto C.

Thanks for the input, I will be sitting a hidden water hole this monday and we will see what happens. This is the first year that the any deer has been changed to any antlered deer in the southern units Ernesto. I personally don't agree with the fish and games decision because in the last 8 years I have hunted January in unit 32, I have never seen a doe kill by an archer.

no matter what time of year it is deer have to drink. I know where a 180 or better mule deer is right now that comes to the same waterhole ever morning right at sun up like clock work. So water is important to them all year long.

180" muley?!?!? Now that'd be a tough one for me to pass up if I knew where he was watering every day. Sheesh!

Josh

Josh

now i never said anything about passing him up. We have just been watching him and my dad is going to be the lucky hunter that gets to take the shot at him. I have a guy that is in alaska rightnow. that was suposed to be back in tuch with me about an open country mule deer hunt. this toad of a buck is an open country desert mule deer. My dads point is when you see a buck like this you take him. My dad dose not guide and dose not like the idea of guides much so he dose not think the same as me.We have both killed alot of deer , and im totaly honest when i say I have more fun guiding. My dad will let me know the outcome of it as I have to take care of my other buisness at this point. I know he has a good chance at getting him, no one else even knows he is there.its an area that has been hunted out for a few years and people dont put in much there anymore. we have killed a few lions in there and the herd is on its way back. we have seen some nice bucks in there this year and about 100 does . Last year my nephew and i saw thre monsters running together on the october hunt.so with a little luck we should have a good area back.