Sign in to follow this  
bigorange

35A

I seem to have an affinity for drawing tags in burned areas this year. Looking for some general areas to start scouting for the early November hunt in 35A after I get back from 27... Any places you could recommend to start scouting? Thanks!

I seem to have an affinity for drawing tags in burned areas this year. Looking for some general areas to start scouting for the early November hunt in 35A after I get back from 27... Any places you could recommend to start scouting? Thanks!

I have hunted 35A 3 years in a row and I'm 0 for 3 - all on left-over tags. Awesome place, I was surprised how much water is down there. My advice is go high in elevation. I made the mistake of staring low in the draws. Thick oak brush with allot of does. The bucks always seem to come out at night and I see them as I'm driving back to camp.

I've posted a few pics of the area.

post-2909-0-55217700-1315265649_thumb.jpg

post-2909-0-72184900-1315265719_thumb.jpg

post-2909-0-84929800-1315265783_thumb.jpg

post-2909-0-59015100-1315265814_thumb.jpg

I'm by no means as experienced as other folks when it comes to Coues hunting, this year being only my second deer hunt. However, I've lived in Sierra Vista since 1986 and know the area quite well, have scouted around probably 200-300 hours or so on the backside of the Huachuca's and Parker Canyon Lake area between my hunt last year and the scouting I've done so far this year, here is a little advise I can give ya. Concentrate the areas towards the mountains and up into the canyons. It seems like bucks only stay on the Left hand side of Montezuma Road when headed south, or at least that's the only place I've ever seen them. Haven't had much luck on the right side of the road even though I know they are there. I had the late Nov. hunt last year and the Parker Canyon Lake area, Sunnyside Canyon area and Brushy Canyon areas were a zoo. There were pop-ups and tents almost every 100 feet or so off the road. So I'm sure there must be a good number of deer there, or else they wouldn't have been there. I prefer to stay off the beaten path and have seen plenty of deer both north and south of those areas. Anywhere off Brushy Canyon is always decent. Have seen a lot of deer down in the valley off Montezuma's Pass also. Tons of deer back there, just depends how much hiking your willing to do.

I lived in S.V. 76-97 and just across the valley since then. I have hunted, hiked, camped and scouted the Huachuca,s ALOT.

And since I'm not hunting there this year.

I believe that the Canelo area is the best that I know about.

Thanks all for the tips. Will be souting down there this weekend and definitely checking the areas recommended. Hopefully some pics to post soon. Any other thoughts or recommendations would definitely be appreciated.

The burned areas are not that burned... tall grasses cover all but a few areas that got hit hard. Get out there and scout for yourself! The internet is not gonna tag that deer for ya!

The burned areas are not that burned... tall grasses cover all but a few areas that got hit hard. Get out there and scout for yourself! The internet is not gonna tag that deer for ya!

That's the plan...gonna be down there tomorrow in fact. Just looking for good starting points. Thanks for the info about the burns. Good news. :D