billrquimby

ROCKY MOUNTAIN SHEEP ON BLACK RIVER

A friend says he saw a herd of ewes. lambs and small Rocky Mountain bighorn rams along the rim west of Hanagan Meadow last week, which brings me to my question:

Does anyone know if sheep still are hanging around the campgrounds along the river near Diamond Rock? A neighbor recently said he had never seen a live wild sheep and I foolishly volunteered to show him some next weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Quimby

I seen them there last year but with the fire this summer I don't know if they are still there. Cruise on down to morenci and either around the mine or the town you are almost guaranteed to see them. Heck they walk around town sometimes and through our gas station.

A.M.

Bill,

Isn't that road into Diamond Rock still closed?? I am not sure, will be able to check that out latter part of October.

There is a batch of sheep that hang out up on the rocky flats there just south of Buffalo crossing as well. Right there at the turnoff into Sprucedale and on around that big bend in the rocky flats.

A friend says he saw a herd of ewes. lambs and small Rocky Mountain bighorn rams along the rim west of Hanagan Meadow last week, which brings me to my question:

Does anyone know if sheep still are hanging around the campgrounds along the river near Diamond Rock? A neighbor recently said he had never seen a live wild sheep and I foolishly volunteered to show him some next weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

The road to Diamond Rock is still closed, I went down there Saturday the 3rd. I have seen the sheep there several times over the last few years, it will be good to see them there again.

Yeah I seen sheep there once that I can think of. We were just driving down the road close to the camp sites and they were maybe 50 yards off of the road, maybe not even that far. They were not even spooked when we stopped to look at them. Since the road is closed that is a big bummer, that is one of my favorite places to fish.

Bill I've been up elk hunting with Amanda and just came down for 1 day of work before I go back up. My son who is helping one of his buddies on this hunt found 9 dead rams that were apparently killed in the fire. Amanda and I have pics but I didn't bring my camera down with me. He found them above the confluence of Coyote Creek and the East Fork of the Black river.

Bill I've been up elk hunting with Amanda and just came down for 1 day of work before I go back up. My son who is helping one of his buddies on this hunt found 9 dead rams that were apparently killed in the fire. Amanda and I have pics but I didn't bring my camera down with me. He found them above the confluence of Coyote Creek and the East Fork of the Black river.

:( Darn shame.

That is not good news for sure, that has become one of our favorite ventures a chance to get to see those sheep in there.

My neighbors and I went looking for sheep on Tuesday. As others have said on this thread, the road past Diamond Rock where I've seen sheep several times in the past remains closed, so we tried looking along Beaver Creek and along the rim. Although we saw none, we had a great day and enjoyed meeting the Wiltbanks at Sprucedale.

What surprised me was that we left at 4:45 a.m. and drove from Greer to Sheep's Crossing, Big Lake, Buffalo Crossing, Sprucedale, Hannagan and Alpine and on to Eagar, then returned to Greer by 11 a.m. without seeing one elk! I would have bet my next Social Security check that this would be impossible. We did see maybe two dozen deer and two antelope.

Bill Quimby

My neighbors and I went looking for sheep on Tuesday. As others have said on this thread, the road past Diamond Rock where I've seen sheep several times in the past remains closed, so we tried looking along Beaver Creek and along the rim. Although we saw none, we had a great day and enjoyed meeting the Wiltbanks at Sprucedale.

What surprised me was that we left at 4:45 a.m. and drove from Greer to Sheep's Crossing, Big Lake, Buffalo Crossing, Sprucedale, Hannagan and Alpine and on to Eagar, then returned to Greer by 11 a.m. without seeing one elk! I would have bet my next Social Security check that this would be impossible. We did see maybe two dozen deer and two antelope.

Bill Quimby

What a shame, nephews buddy is up in 27 on bull hunt. Sent him pic of big bull found on Monday before hunt started, succumbed to effects of fire or something. Didn't look to good, big rack on him 7x7.

Was at Big Lake 2 weeks ago and never saw one single elk the whole drove in and out! Couldnt believe that but the archery hunt had just started as well. Drove the Alpine to Big Lake road a few times and saw nothing. I heard a few bugles close to the lake but not much else. I would think they might still be scattered about and in a year things should be settling down. But who knows.