Sign in to follow this  
james

bow hunting dilema

hello all, besides the fact that another buckless season so far this year has come and gone im on the ropes with selling my bow i love hunting i love shooting my bow so im not sure if its the fact of only seeing 4 doe this entire year or that im still not excactly sure how to properly bowhunt. nobody in my area that i know bow hunts. In the past 3 years bowhunting ive hunted from nogales to wilcox and seen only 1 buck and it was when i was at work opening day without my bow last season and unfortunatly like many of us funds are limited so an outfitter is not an option and yes as many of you will probably say patience and preserverance will pay off. well i have patiencs spewing from my ears but its hard to have patience with something your not completely sure of your even doing right the experiences that i had out in the feild have been dang cool and at times really scary mostly this season with me seeing wild turkey, emu, 2 coaties ,a bear and its cub who decided to climb the tree i had a stand in , a charging bull so its been nothing short of a fun season other than that coveted buck . and for those 1 or 2 who might reply and ask what bow am i thinking of sellin lol (

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/spo/2572067203.html ) and for all others please post a reply either to suck it up or even some advice anything will help. thank you all for sharing or just reading about my dilema

Dont give in! Archery is another excuse to stay in the field even longer... you can learn so much by archery hunting!

James, don't give up on the Sierra Vista area. There are quite a few bucks around it may just take some serious scouting to find there location. They are there and can be found, but it does take significant amounts of scouting to find them.

I feel your pain as well, but it sounds like you need to start sitting down and glassing areas that may look good. Not sure how you hunt or where, but by glassing miles of terrain you'll be surprised at just how many deer are there that you would have never seen.... including bucks. All of those areas you named have great deer all over.

There have been many times I have been to a complete brand new area and just wigned it. Sat down and glassed and picked up deer for the very first time in the new spot. As a matter of fact this weekend was a good example. Glassed up a great Coues buck, and went after him. Didn't get him, but was very happy to see a buck and get a stalk.

Find a good water hole and look for tracks. Put up a cam on water or on a trail. If you enjoy shooting your bow then that's reason enough to keep it, muchless to get out and take yer bow for a walk! :D

I was gonna recommend glassing also. Trail cams also help dial in / rule out areas and give u something to do off season. U know you'll b reaching for ur bow next august - u sell it U'll regret it. Plus what about all the OTC deer hunts in Dec/Jan? Trust me I feel almost the same as u after every hunt but I keep comin back for more and always will regardless of success.

We have wild emu in Arizona? Never heard such a thing. That would be cool to see. Did they escape or something? I will agree with the last post. Glass and you will see way more animals.

We have wild emu in Arizona? Never heard such a thing. That would be cool to see. Did they escape or something? I will agree with the last post. Glass and you will see way more animals.

Glass too long and you may see wild emu! Another good reason to buy good glass!

dont give in...keep at it...glassing on tripods will double even triple your sightings....and if only see doe's the bucks arent far away.

pm if you need help

hello all, besides the fact that another buckless season so far this year has come and gone im on the ropes with selling my bow i love hunting i love shooting my bow so im not sure if its the fact of only seeing 4 doe this entire year or that im still not excactly sure how to properly bowhunt. nobody in my area that i know bow hunts. In the past 3 years bowhunting ive hunted from nogales to wilcox and seen only 1 buck and it was when i was at work opening day without my bow last season and unfortunatly like many of us funds are limited so an outfitter is not an option and yes as many of you will probably say patience and preserverance will pay off. well i have patiencs spewing from my ears but its hard to have patience with something your not completely sure of your even doing right the experiences that i had out in the feild have been dang cool and at times really scary mostly this season with me seeing wild turkey, emu, 2 coaties ,a bear and its cub who decided to climb the tree i had a stand in , a charging bull so its been nothing short of a fun season other than that coveted buck . and for those 1 or 2 who might reply and ask what bow am i thinking of sellin lol (

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/spo/2572067203.html ) and for all others please post a reply either to suck it up or even some advice anything will help. thank you all for sharing or just reading about my dilema

Dont give up and don't sell your bow. I don't know you but the circumstances sound vaguely familiar, you will regret it. Or like me you'll end up with a better bow and a bigger bill than if I had just kept it, but a bow is a bow. I sent you a PM about possible locations.

i do beleive it was an escapee from the nearby ranch but either way it was an effin emu really i mean comon while deer hunting

well i am leaning towards keeping my bow just that it gets very frustrating putting in so much time just to add to the tag stack. i want to experience the dec-jan hunt so if there is anyone out there that has already tagged out for this year and maybe wanna come along for a few more days in the feild to end the season im not asking for u to give up your honeyhole but maybe an extra set of eyes in the areas i been hunting and a few pointers in the field .

I could say many of the same things as u. I've been bow hunting 3 yrs too. Up until last weekend I've never gotten closer than 200 or so yards. I too have felt like giving up. My 2 early hunts this year had me on deer but just not the deer I wanted. The spikes were in range but I don't want to shoot a spike. I don't have a minimum but I know its not a spike or fork for my first deer (archery or rifle). I got on 4-5 BIG mulies and did everything right on my hour long stalk til I bumped em in their bed. I couldn't see them after they got up the hill. I went right went left and then went straight to a little 5-10' cliff. dang deer bedded down and I didn't look right below my feet. All I saw was deer butt and big antlers running. Was I bummed? Oh yes! But im learning on every single time im out there. Someday everything will come together. Don't give up. Enjoy the outdoors. It is hunting ....not shooting.