Sign in to follow this  
BigMoqui

12 pts

I'm getting ancy looking at all these amazing goats. If you had 12 points going in to next years draw what unit would you put in for and what weapon? Muzzy is not an option for me but archery is. I was leaning toward archery 5's or 6's. Any opinions welcomed. By the way I have only ever bought points, next year will be the first time I actually apply for a tag.

Chasing goats with a bow is a humbling experience. I was fortunate enough this year to help on an archery antelope hunt. It was pretty cool watching a guy sneak up on a lope, closer than 100 yards, hiding behind basketball size clumps of sage brush. I always though it would be a tough hunt. I had no idea how tough, until I saw it. If you have a spot with lots of goats, I'd say go for it. You will likely need many back up bucks. I would suggest helping on archery antelope hunt before you sign up for one. It is a big hill to climb, but guys tag out on pronghorn every year using bows.

Depends on how long you want to wait. 12 points will guarantee you an archery tag in several great units but success can be tough. You could be waiting for another 5-7 years for a rifle tag. I say go hunt NM and hold out for a bomber rifle tag in AZ unless you are confident in your archery skills. I also have 12 pts and I will be expecting an archery tag next year. Good luck.

Brian

You can get drawn with any # of points unless youre me, pick a unit you like and you never know you could get lucky.

Good Luck.

I cant stress how hard hunting antelope with a bow is, but it can be done. The hardest part about it is getting close enough to one to where the time of flight on the arrow is short enough to where they don't move much after you shoot. Even inside 60 yards a standing still antelope can move 2-3 body lengths from where they were when you shot.