swwildlife

>300wsm or .300win mag?

I will be getting a new rifle soon and I'm mixed on what caliber to get. My hunting is for deer,elk,black bear,antelope, the usual north american speices. and plains game.(sounds like an all around rifle) I would like something in the 30 caliber as I have others already in the sub 30 caliber. The older I get the more recoil sensitive I get. and I hate a muzzle brake. My sons tell me to man up. The distanses I plan on shooting are out to 500 yards. What are some of your opinions on these 2 calibers?

Hey Jim I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. I sold a pistol and just wanted to invest in another gun. I have a safe full of rifles but I wanted something I didn't have so I decided to invest in a Tika T3 Light. I sat there at the Cabelas gun counter for over an hour trying to decide on the 300 Win Mag or the Short Mag. I actually went there with the Short Mag in mind but after carefull consideration decided on the Win Mag. Mainly on the reloading choices. I haven't been disapointed, but I don't think there is much difference in the two. If you would like to shoot mine and check it out, let me know. Iv'e shot two deer with it, and both were over 500 yds. The only trouble with the Tika is that it is very light, so the recoil is pretty substantial. I think it has more of a sharp kick than my 300 Ultra Mag. But it is twice as light so I really like hunting with it.

Dave.