Sign in to follow this  
missedagain

Pork Fat

anymore, we don't add any fat to the HB we make. in fact we trim every bit of fat and sinew and gristle we can off it before it hits the grinder. a lot better for you and it is great for most of what we use it for. mexican food, like tacos and enchiladas stuff and it makes real good meatballs for sketty and is great in lasagnia too. excellent in stuffed bell peppers. anything like that, it works great. makes a great burger if you fry it. don't work too good on the grill. another thing we started doing too is the stuff that is hard to bone and has a lotta sinew and stuff, like skinny little lower legs and necks and ribs and stuff it to take it all and stuff it in a big pan and stick it in the oven for 12 hours or so. you can shake the meat off the bone and you get every bit of it and the sinew and stuff just cooks away and makes it real juicy. then take it and put it in the vacuum sealer in bunches of however much you want to use and freeze it. my wife usually makes some of into green chili and the rest she just seasons with salt, pepper and minced onions. you really realize a lot more meat and it is really good stuff. the necks have become one of our favorite chunks off anything. Lark.

[/quote

I hear where ya comin from Lark. The neck is one of the best pieces there is and it usually gets thrown away. :)

TJ

i worked in a butcher shop when i was in high school. i'd take our deer necks and cut the spine out. i was pretty good with a butcher knife in them days. (i almost said i was a good boner, but my brain kicked in) then i would cut a piece o' beef fat about the same size as the spine and put it in the neck and tie it back up with string. put that sucker in the oven for a few hours till it gets real done and tender with some taters, carrots and onions and i've seen some near fist fights over the last stuff in the pan. gooooooooooood stuff. try it sometime. it is really, really good.

Does anybody know a good place to get clean pork fat, it seems most of the butchers don't process their own pork?

Thank you

I should have some in two weeks when I butcher two hogs. You are welcome to it. I live in Flagstaff.

Thanks everyone, we got my dads elk butchered up yesterday. Mostly we used beef fat but we bought some fatty pork shoulder to mix with some of the sausage so we will see how it turns out. Bryce Canyon I'm very intersted in that I'll send you a pm.

Thanks.

Picked up those hogs today so I have your hog fat ready to go.

Does anybody know a good place to get clean pork fat, it seems most of the butchers don't process their own pork?

Thank you

I should have some in two weeks when I butcher two hogs. You are welcome to it. I live in Flagstaff.

Thanks everyone, we got my dads elk butchered up yesterday. Mostly we used beef fat but we bought some fatty pork shoulder to mix with some of the sausage so we will see how it turns out. Bryce Canyon I'm very intersted in that I'll send you a pm.

Thanks.

Picked up those hogs today so I have your hog fat ready to go.

It was nice to meet you, thank you again.