Sign in to follow this  
couesdiehard

need a new backpack

Ok I broke my old packframe finally (hated that thing) and I have been comparison shopping hunting backpacks. I am looking for something to use as a daypack and meat-hauler with the ability to be used as 3-5 day hunt backpack being a bonus. As I am vertically challenged (5'7") size of the pack is important. After inspecting and trying numerous packs on, I have narrowed my choices down to the Eberlestock J34 and the Horn Hunter Full Curl System. Problem I have is that there is a ton of info on the Eberlestock out there but very little reliable reviews of the Full Curl yet. Seen a video and read one pretty detailed review about it but the rest I've seen I wouldn't put much faith in.

My question (finally) is this. Has anyone on the forum put a Full Curl System through its paces yet? I put a lot more faith in the opinions of the hunters on this site than most places so I am really interested in your input. Thanks in advance.

Lee

I bought a J34 this year and just got back from my first hike with it. Love it. Packed in water for my daughter's October hunt. Pack weighed 52lbs when I left the house this morning and it worked great. I am 5'5" and that pack fit me way better than the 4500 I used to use. It is set up perfect for a meat hauler (I bone out my whitetails) and with the super duffel, it will work perfect for my bivy hunts. It does ride funny without any weight but when it loaded down with just your basic day hunt weight (25lbs) it rides great. Would change some of the smaller pockets, but the pack as a whole worked well.

Hope this helps,

Brent

Thanks cohofishing,

Another positive for the J34. Hasn't anybody on the site used the Horn Hunter Full Curl System?

Lee

bmf,

The 2200 wasn't what I was looking for. I did check out the sacrifice & the 4500. Also it seems everyone who has owned a Badlands has at some point broken a zipper, a buckle or something. I know their warranty service is tops but I figure why not just design and build them better in the first place. Things that are going to break do it when you need them to work. I am therefore no longer considering Badlands products. Thx for the suggestion though.

Lee

I know you are looking for info also on the Full Curl, sorry I haven't used it but I have used the J34. All I can say is it will carry more then most men and is very comfortable.

Good Luck.

Eric

Eric,

Thanks, like I said lots of info on the j34 is available. I've checked them out on your website actually. There are pluses an minuses for both for the way that I would use them. For example, love the six handy pockets on the hip belt of the full curl(nice to have access to small essentials without removing your pack), but I also like the built in scabbard on the j34 (I probably would only use it when packing out though, I like having my rifle in my hands while I'm hunting)because it seems like it would protect the rifle very well. I will make my decision this week. I need to get one of them so I can start breaking it in soon.

Eric,

Thanks, like I said lots of info on the j34 is available. I've checked them out on your website actually. There are pluses an minuses for both for the way that I would use them. For example, love the six handy pockets on the hip belt of the full curl(nice to have access to small essentials without removing your pack), but I also like the built in scabbard on the j34 (I probably would only use it when packing out though, I like having my rifle in my hands while I'm hunting)because it seems like it would protect the rifle very well. I will make my decision this week. I need to get one of them so I can start breaking it in soon.

I have a large padded pouch on both sides of my belt for my radio, knife and headlamps, I can even put a little snack in there if needed.

Good luck.

Update on my quest for a new backpack...

As I stated before it was down to the Eberlestock J34 and the Horn Hunter Full Curl System.

On Saturday the 8th I stopped in to Cabela's to take a look at the Horn Hunter Full Curl frame more closely. I wanted to be sure it would adjust adequately to fit me. Of course, none left in the store!

More than a little discouraged I walked into the bargain cave and see a guy fooling with a Horn Hunter full curl combo which is the frame and the daypack (2000 c.i.together) minus the (3000 c.i.)large bag. When the guy set it down I picked it up and went through it with a fine-toothed comb. It was used but in very good shape. It was marked at $130!! Well this combo sells new for $249, so I tried it on, made all the adjustments needed and bought the darn thing.

I carried for it one day in unit 27 looking for bear and like the way it carries thus far, but will need to carry more weight on it for a better test. I decided since I wasn't backpack hunting anytime soon, it made more sense to order the canvas meat sack for $20 rather than the large full curl bag at this time. Both of these mount right on the frame and the daypack mounts on either of them.

I hope to put the system through its paces this season and write a review about it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Lee

I have Horn Hunter main beam XL and have backpacked in with 55 pounds with no problems. Will be going in with close to 70lbs (lots of water) this Sun-Thur. The pack is stuffed. I love my Horn Hunter, Full Curl will be my next pack. Thanks for the update!

BUMP. In the same boat. Have a 2200...dont like the fit. Also have a j34....good pack. Seen a couple of ok reviews on the hybrid curl,just not much out there for reviews.Have you put it to the test yet?

BUMP. In the same boat. Have a 2200...dont like the fit. Also have a j34....good pack. Seen a couple of ok reviews on the hybrid curl,just not much out there for reviews.Have you put it to the test yet?

TOBY,

My hunt starts 11/25/11 and will be my first time to put the full curl to the test. As a side note, I did not purchase the larger bag for the pack yet. I did buy the "meat sack" which was an off-white canvas bag with the clips and everything to mount it directly to the packframe. I had my wife dye the sack brown so it didn't stand out like a sore thumb and it came out great. I don't intend to bivy hunt this hunt so I think this set up will work well. For future hunts I intend to purchase the large bag for bivy hunts.

I will post some photos and do a review in December when I return from hunt.

Lee

p.s. I also will review the Horn Hunter Bino Hub that i bought for this season and include some photos of it too.