Sign in to follow this  
fudipena

2011 New Mexico 16a Elk hunt

post-1941-0-62637200-1316813636_thumb.jpgAfter lots of day of waiting, our 2011 elk hunt was finally upon us. Our hunt started on 9/11, with the first day brought lots of oppertunity on smaller bulls and a ton of cows but no rut activity. On day two we found the bull that my son Andrew was able to harvest. I spotted this bull at first light and the stock was on as we tried to get in front of this lone bull. After about a 45 minute stock we closed the distance to 80 yards when the bull froze on the saddle that we where hoping to get to so we could cut him off. Any how the wind started swrilling on us and the bull just stayed froze there. That is when my son told me that he could make that shot. Yes I know 80 yards is a long shot for a archery shot, but when you have a kid that practices regularly at that distance and groups within 3 inches that it would be no problem. So, I ranged him again and told him that he was still 80 yards from us. Thats when my son stated I got him and the arrow was off, thats when we heard the sound that every bow hunter loves the hear S-W-A-C-K and the bull hunched up then walked off. We watched him walk down the ridge and bed. Thirty minutes later we worked our way up to where he was standing and found a bloody arrow with bright red and bubbly blood. Thats when we heard someone on a 4-wheeler driving in the caynon below us. There was no road in this caynon and he caused the bull to get up and head out of the caynon into a bigger caynon. Yes there was a few choice words saided to that dumb A--. We ended up finding the bull at 8:30 that morning and the work begain. Andrew ended up harvesting a really nice 6x7 bull on 9/12/11, what you guys think he'll score. The remainder of the hunt was lots of fun with plently of oppertunity to harvest small bulls and cows but I was holding out for atleast a 5x5. On our last day up there 9/16/11 was the day that we finally witnessed some rut activity as that morning we got right in the middle of a huge group of cows and anywhere form 8 up to 15 bulls running nuts all in this caynon. It was a ton of fun. My first oppertunity came when a nice 5x5 came in on a string to 20 yards, as I got ready to draw on this bull my son asked me to hold out. At that time I asked him why? Thats when he asked me if I seen that huge 7x7 standing cross caynon form me screaming his head off, I go no I just been focues on this 5x5 coming in. Andrew said, I'm going to change calls and lets see if that big bull will come in. About 45 minutes later that big bull was coming in and was at 50 yards but no shot oppertunity. Thats when a small rag bull pushing 5 cows came within 10 yards of us no shot again. We worked all those elk until about noon that friday with plenty of oppertunities to harvest a smaller bull or cow but no arrows went down range. I will admit that we all had a great time. Ready to do again, hopefully next year we will draw another tag. On another note my dad, daughters boyfriend, and to close family friends have a tag here in New Mexico on Oct 22-26. Maybe the bull might be more active then.

post-1941-0-62637200-1316813636_thumb.jpg

Awesome bull and story! Those dark antlers are nice!!