kazpilot25

36B Coues Scouting

Ok guys, so I've been out 2 times in the last couple weeks down in unit 36B. I have the middle hunt which is Nov. 4-10. In my couple times out I have gone to some areas that I've found on topos that looked pretty promising (lots of water, tanks, hills, washes, etc.) but when I check them out in the field I don't see much sign, track or anything. I spend about 6 hours out in the field each of the times I've gone and have hiked miles and miles deep into the unit and off roads. I have so far been focusing down near the border south of ruby and also a bit further west, but again not seeing too much.

If anyone has some pointers to help get me in the right direction/area that would be greatly appreciated. I don't need anyone to give up their honey holes or anything, just looking for general guidance for the unit. It's my first time being down there and any help would be great. I'm planning on going out again Saturday so we will see what I can find.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Have you spent any time glassing at first light and late afternoon hours? When I scout a new area my first objective is to find 5-6 new glassing spots and spend at liest 1 morning and evening at each spot. Some spots are better in the morning or evening. Usually this system works great for me. Once I find several spots that I'm seeing lots of Deer in I start breaking down that area more by hiking the general area. I can tell you that 36b has a lot of Deer and a lot of very good glassing spots. I usually like to glass for the first 3 hours in the morning and start glassing around 2pm in the afternoon, but don't be affraid to glass in the mid day period. Coues like to water from 10-2pm. That can be a really good time to see them walking around. Hope this helps.

Adam

If you have not been there much you can save yourself a lot of trouble... honestly. you can drive around the unit slowly and see deer everywhere. when you see deer stop and pick a hill and climb and glass. I like farther north then south for sure

check out the country around Nuevo Corral

There is no deer in that area of the unit. You would be wasting your itme. <_<

Thanks for the pointers guys. I'm heading down tomorrow after work and will be scouting tomorrow night and all day saturday. I'll try out some different glassing techniques and the different areas mentioned. I'll look into Nuevo Corral and try to find some other spots further north of the border. Thanks guys. I'll post some pics if I find anything.

As BigBrowns was stating, I would suggest picking a couple of glassing points and sitting more, travelling less. When you do travel do it slow and stop often to glass any country that looks promising and maybe even some that doesn't. We hunted 36B for many years and we found bucks in some crazy places. Definitely glass those bald looking ocotillo covered hills at first light.

Lee

Kazpilot25..... I was only making an attempt of a joke with my comment above. As others have said there is deer all over the unit and the Corral Nuevo area is one of my favorite spots. Unfortunatly it is with many others in the last couple of years also. Keep in mind though everything to the east of the road inclueding the correls have burned in the last fire. I will be going down there in the morning (Friday) to do some scouting. Both the correls and other areas in the unit I hunt also. If I get any pictures i will post them up. Good luck on your scouting trip and the hunt.

You can hardly tell there was a fire in that unit

Lee, thanks for the pointers. This is actually my first hunt for comes and I'm excited. I've read a lot about them and the main thing I've taken away is that this is an animal you have to just sit and glass. I got a new pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x50 with a tripod and adapter so I can sit and glass the day away. I plan on finding a couple spots this weekend to sit out for a couple hours and glass.

WinMag, Thanks for the heads up. With the fire, has anything (grass) started growing back yet? With all the moisture down there I'd assume it would grow back pretty quickly. Last year I had to deal with burn areas up in 7 for mule deer and where the burn was, the grass was fresh and tall coming in quickly after the fire. Lot's of deer in there.

If you call me I could guide you to a few good places

with this storm, friday and saturday should be great days for scouting all day long. good luck.

check out the country around Nuevo Corral

There is no deer in that area of the unit. You would be wasting your itme. <_<

++++++1 on there are no deer in that unit

If you have not been there much you can save yourself a lot of trouble... honestly. you can drive around the unit slowly and see deer everywhere. when you see deer stop and pick a hill and climb and glass. I like farther north then south for sure

Just stop to relieve urself while driving along and u will see plenty of deer...