Sign in to follow this  
northtoalaska

new to area 33.. new to AZ

Hey every one.. im new to coues deer hunting only shot one and that was last year in 36a, but this year i drew a tag in unit 33! i have been scouting and seen a boat load of does but no bucks. and about 15 rattle snakes.. my hunt is 21oct -28th so soon.. need info on any thing! I have been to pepper-sauce canyon, and the far east side of the mountain north of reddington. Any more info can and im sure would help out a lot!!

thanks

Plenty of bucks in those areas just keep glassing you will find them.

Yea i have been out a lot! see more snakes than deer! is there any land issues i need to know about, private property ect? is Charouleau Gap worth looking i hear the road is horrible?

Never hunted the gap. I've ridden my dirtbike out there and yes the road it rough for sure. I wouldn't take my truck in but a quad is ok..

Never really had access issues it's an open unit. The area's you mentioned hold lots of deer they're there with the weather change should be easier to find.

I will be helping some family and friends on that hunt. It's a fun one. Look for a silver 4 door Tacoma, white 4 door Tacoma or a silver 4 door Frontier in the area you have been scouting. Stop by and say hi, and if you haven't gotten into them, we can steer you to some good areas.

I will be helping some family and friends on that hunt. It's a fun one. Look for a silver 4 door Tacoma, white 4 door Tacoma or a silver 4 door Frontier in the area you have been scouting. Stop by and say hi, and if you haven't gotten into them, we can steer you to some good areas.

Awesome thanks. will keep and eye out for you, im in a big black dodge 4door. good luck to you!

Hey every one.. im new to coues deer hunting only shot one and that was last year in 36a, but this year i drew a tag in unit 33! i have been scouting and seen a boat load of does but no bucks. and about 15 rattle snakes.. my hunt is 21oct -28th so soon.. need info on any thing! I have been to pepper-sauce canyon, and the far east side of the mountain north of reddington. Any more info can and im sure would help out a lot!!

thanks

How long are you glassing an area? What time or times of day are you out and about? The areas you have mentioned have loads of deer. My first scouting trip to 33 was a let down, but I didnt spend alot of time staying in one spot. The coues deer are masters of hiding and moving out of an area. I have found that getting a nice foam pad or small camp chair makes the glassing better. Do you have a decent pair of binos?

thanks

How long are you glassing an area? What time or times of day are you out and about? The areas you have mentioned have loads of deer. My first scouting trip to 33 was a let down, but I didnt spend alot of time staying in one spot. The coues deer are masters of hiding and moving out of an area. I have found that getting a nice foam pad or small camp chair makes the glassing better. Do you have a decent pair of binos?

There are plenty of deer in the areas you have been scouting.....but be warned....you are going to have a lot of company once the hunt starts.

DesertBull is right, 700 tags for this hunt. Its going to get crazy with all the people trying to hunt in this unit. We were out scouting a few weekends ago and saw loads of others scouting. I would suggest getting off the roads and trails and hike like others on the forum have said. You will see alot of "roadies", but dont be one of them.

Last I looked into it, you can only camp 300 feet from the road in most of the area, is anyone else aware of this or has better intel?

DesertBull is right, 700 tags for this hunt. Its going to get crazy with all the people trying to hunt in this unit. We were out scouting a few weekends ago and saw loads of others scouting. I would suggest getting off the roads and trails and hike like others on the forum have said. You will see alot of "roadies", but dont be one of them.

Last I looked into it, you can only camp 300 feet from the road in most of the area, is anyone else aware of this or has better intel?

I knew it would be a mad house due to the tags! but i have been up scouting almost every weekend and have not seen a single other sole! i took a rough road that took me over a hour to get within hiking range of a area i thought would be good. see a lot of does and deer sign and no sign of people! so i figure this may be a good area! less hunting pressure means More deer!! at least i hope! you wont find me any where near a road or other people opening morning!

AS to the camping thing!! i have not heard about the 300 feet from a road!! i have heard the no less the "x"? from water holes! but not from the road! let me know for sure cause that may throw a kink in my plans!

I knew it would be a mad house due to the tags! but i have been up scouting almost every weekend and have not seen a single other sole! i took a rough road that took me over a hour to get within hiking range of a area i thought would be good. see a lot of does and deer sign and no sign of people! so i figure this may be a good area! less hunting pressure means More deer!! at least i hope! you wont find me any where near a road or other people opening morning!

AS to the camping thing!! i have not heard about the 300 feet from a road!! i have heard the no less the "x"? from water holes! but not from the road! let me know for sure cause that may throw a kink in my plans!

Here is where I saw the mention of the 300 feet in the dispersed camping legend of the map. Seems like many of the trails and roads have the restriction.

Coronado National Forest Trail Map

Coronado National Forest: No fee or permit is required for dispersed camping. The Coronado allows camping within 300 feet of all roads and has eight wilderness areas in which mechanized or motorized equipment – including chain saws and mountain bikes – is forbidden. For more information see the Coronado National Forest Web site at www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/index.shtml or call 388-8300.

A lot of people pass up some great country trying to get to more remote areas, if it looks like good country then stop right along the road and glass. You may be surprised.

I hunt the other side off of Reddington Pass. I pulled out a huge 4x4 a couple of years back near Bellota ranch. You'll have to glass a lot in the morning and evening but I've had luck hunting the draws and thickets in the evenings.