Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

Broadhead Failure

This is a picture of a new Carbon express F 15 broadhead, and one that disintegrated on impact with the shoulder of a mature bull elk. They look like a really tough broadhead and fly extremely well but after impact this is what we found. Facts: 50 yard shot on a bedded quartering away bull. Hoyt Alphaburner 30 inch draw 71 pounds, Carbon Express 55 - 75 arrow. After impact the arrow cartwheeled out and landed about 10 yards past where the bull had been laying. The bow had been paper tuned and the arrow flight was really good.

post-958-0-93173400-1318261955_thumb.jpg

My buddy had a similar thing happen with a three blade rage. High should hit, just a few inches of penetration and the Elk took off like her (cow) tail was on fire. That shoulder bone is one tough cookie in Elk.

Doesn't matter what broadhead you are using when you hit that bone! I've witnessed an arrow bounce off that bone and come cartwheelin' right back at my hunter and I, and the bull was only 17 yards quartered away! JIM>

The good thing is it's "Catch and Release"! The bull may have a limp for a while but he'll live, gotta be thankful for that.

FACT: Shooting through paper and 50 yard shot on a bedded quartering away bull elk are not the same :ph34r:

First post and already displaying pure genius. What if it was that tough paper that Kung Fu had to "like" walk on? Did you think of that.

Doesn't matter what broadhead you are using when you hit that bone! I've witnessed an arrow bounce off that bone and come cartwheelin' right back at my hunter and I, and the bull was only 17 yards quartered away! JIM>

The good thing is it's "Catch and Release"! The bull may have a limp for a while but he'll live, gotta be thankful for that.

Yeah, I'm sure he survived, but you must admit, that broadhead really came apart.

FACT: Shooting through paper and 50 yard shot on a bedded quartering away bull elk are not the same :ph34r:

First post and already displaying pure genius. What if it was that tough paper that Kung Fu had to "like" walk on? Did you think of that.

Perhaps If I was "genius" I would have thought about all the "what ifs" first. Sorry, I didn't please forgive my virgin post. You wanted comments or you wouldn't have posted. Correct? Regardless first post or second I don't have to agree "They look like a really tough broadhead" or that a good shot was taken. Seriously, look at that close up picture of that broadhead. Looks pretty anorexic to me. Somehow that is supposed to make it through the skeletal system of a mature bull elk? Maybe too much Kung Fu for you? I don't know? Maybe you need to start watching Chuck Norris instead...

Doesn't matter what broadhead you are using when you hit that bone!

+1

That being said, I used the F-15's on one of my African hunts, after a complete pass through on animals I noticed the tips were breaking off. No bone hit, just the impact of hitting the animal even the smaller ones like impala and nyala. Decided I didn't need to use those broadheads anymore.

post-647-0-53273400-1318293214_thumb.jpg

Perhaps If I was "genius" I would have thought about all the "what ifs" first. Sorry, I didn't please forgive my virgin post. You wanted comments or you wouldn't have posted. Correct? Regardless first post or second I don't have to agree "They look like a really tough broadhead" or that a good shot was taken. Seriously, look at that close up picture of that broadhead. Looks pretty anorexic to me. Somehow that is supposed to make it through the skeletal system of a mature bull elk? Maybe too much Kung Fu for you? I don't know? Maybe you need to start watching Chuck Norris instead...

Just a little humor CaptainOvarian. Welcome to the site! I didn't post this picture to argue the merits of how tough or not tough the F15 is. If you held one in your hands they look pretty strong. Everybody shoots their broadheads into plywood, brick, oil drums, etc. I felt it was a good before and after picture upon impacting an elk shoulder. I have a four blade Muzzy 100 grain head that went through the top of a very large bulls shoulder and looking through the vertebrae you can see all 4 blades still intact. The top of the shoulder blade is a lot thinner but pretty impressive penetration through the skeletal system none the less. I shot a spike bull at ten yards with the same head at 85 pounds center of the shoulder and it went in about 4 inches. No head is perfect, especially in the shoulders, just thought it was a cool picture.

No worries dingleshot, I may not be a genius but I savvy your "humor". You are right I have never seen the F-15 in person before...weird...they must only sell them in your neck of the woods eh? I'm curious, after you shot these heads through boards, blocks, and barrels and decided they were going to do the trick...What was the problem? How in the world did it fail?

Shuttle T and you wont have that problem

How do Shuttle T broaheads fly at longer distance? I've been thinking about going with them!

no matter how tough your broadhead is, I don't think you will get through that shoulder. I have seen muzzy broadheads hit the shoulder and stay together but it still does not penetrate. The shoulder is too strong aim elsewhere and like COOSEFAN said if you happen to hit one there the good news is that he will live another day.