Sign in to follow this  
aznate

unit 29

I am new here, but have followed the site for a while. I am planning a coues hunt in unit 29. I have never been there before, probably won't get to scout. I am not looking for anyones secret spot or anything just looking for answers to a few questions.

I hunted unit 36b 2 years ago. There was a lot of trash and sign of illegals. I didn't see anyone, but the trails through the mountains looked as well hiked as bright angel trail in the grand canyon. You could tell a lot of people move through that unit.

How is unit 29 with illegal activity? I didn't think it would have much or at least nothing like 36b. I plan to camp down there. Anyone ever have any trouble? I have heard about hunters along the border coming back to camp and finding their camp has been stolen, not necessarily illegals. Are their many dirt bags around? Just looking to make sure we have a safe and great time down there.

I ended up with a spike as my first coues in 2009 in 36b. As put in my sons hunter ed course "every animal you harvest should be a trophy to the person that takes it".

post-5879-0-76305800-1319068925_thumb.jpg

We had a great time on that hunt, my brother took a spike and my brother in law took a 3x3. Nothing exciting but way better than tag soup.

post-5879-0-58984700-1319069152_thumb.jpg

I've hunted down there the past two years, and will be out there tomorrow afternoon. Have seen lots of illegal sign, but no illegals and plenty of BP.

Last year we camped 1/4 mile from the gate to our canyon with no issues whatsoever. If you see a gold Toyota Tacoma out there, be sure to say high. Lots of deer out there, spotting them is the trick. Good luck! :D

Its a border unit and has its issues with all the other border units. I've been going down there my entire life, and I can say that I've seen a steady increase in activity in the last couple of years. Most of the traffic seems to be up high in the mountains since bp is pretty thick in the valleys. I've seen one "dump" site in my trips down there. Prior to the fire we were having issues with the UDAs breaking into our cabin and stealing canned food, blankets, etc during the winter months. I was down there on Monday, and while I was there I saw a total of 4 trucks along the road I was on and 3 of those were bp trucks. I've seen UDAs out in the valley along the roadway, but I've never seen them out in the hills. I've gotten trail cam pics of them up in the mountains. From what I have heard from talking with ranchers and bp agents is that the Chiricahuas are a dope highway, which is what concerns me the most. There is always a lot of people camped out down there though and I've never heard of any issues.

After the Horseshoe 2 fire we had issues with "tweakers" stealing all the copper out of our burned cabin. I expected that and after speaking with Cochise County Sheriff Deputies, they said that type of activity is typical in that area.

The last two times I've been down there I've seen bp doing their job...they were out in force near the Kansas Settlement Rd looking for someone/something and then I found myself in the middle of a bp high speed pursuit on I10 just east of Benson on Monday.

I will be camping out down there this year since we lost our cabin...I will cautious but not overly concerned. I'm not going to let it ruin my hunt!

I have had numerous encounters with illeagals in 29! Since 2001 ive ran into them about 5 times, only once at night. No drug runners thank goodness but they are there! I had to skip out on the archery hunt this year because of the fire, so this might have an effect of them comin through. If you get in the thick stuff you will the trash and sign that they have been there!

Thanks for the info- I will definitely be cautious. I am most nervous about drug runners after reading what you guys have said.

I read the game and fish report and it says there are deer almost everywhere above 5000 ft. Is this true? Is it worth it to hunt the canyon country in between roads around 6,000 ft or is it better to head up a trail into the high country to 7,000 ft+? We shot our deer at about 4500ft in 36b. Every unit is different.

I have a cabin in West Turkey Creek. Most of the areas I hunt burned. The deer left for the fire but I have seen lots of deer back in the burned areas. Access will be your problem there (lots of private property). I would concentrate in higher elevations as that is where I have been seeing the bigger bucks. Lots of spikes low, but if you want a nice buck, I would look for the most knarly country you can find, get up high and glass. There has been a lot of hunting pressure in the easier areas and the mature bucks know when they start seeing camps going up to get the heck out of dodge or go onto private property. Get up high well before sun-up and you will watch other hunters pushing the bucks up to you as the sun starts rising.

Other hunters pushing deer up to us is how we were successful last time in 36b. The deer actually came up behind me in the saddle I was sitting in. I heard it walking and turned around, and thought "well I guess my hunt is over". About ten minutes after the shot another hunter hiked up and said he was chasing the spike I shot all the way up the hill. The next day that hunter got a real mature 3x3, I am terrible at guessing scores but I think it would have been in the 90's.

I hope it works out this year! Thanks for all the info- This site is awesome!

• Like 1

I have hunted a lot on private land in 29 and I mean a lot. Mule deer and Coues. I tell people all the time that even though I have access to private in 29 we always end back in public and do just as well. I know it is hard to believe but its true. The only thing I can figure is the illegals put so much pressure walking through private that there is little difference. Just a guess.

And I agree with the guy that said find the roughest country and go there. That seems to be accurate IMO. But overall 29 is a crowded unit.

I have an After Action Report a few posts down in this forum.

To echo what everyone says, go up high! If you are not covered in sweat, out of breath, and cursing because of the near vertical mountain you just climbed all before sunrise, you will only see does.