Sign in to follow this  
#1huntinfool

my dads first coues

"aint the biggest but..." First or any Coues large or small at 730 yards it doesn't matter. You are fortunate to have been there with your dad. You will never forget that moment, the sound of the shot or the day.

You jogged my memory. My dad was with me when I killed my first Coues , a fork horn, in October of 1959. I was blessed to be with my dad when he killed his last Coues that was running at full throttle at 150 yards. He did this with 1 shot from a 30/40 Krag in November of 1963. I have that rifle and the same partial box of Winchester 150 grain cartridges in my safe. This is what good memories are made of.

Thanks for sharing the photo and your thoughts. They made me stop and think about a whole bunch of Coues hunts with my dad.

I will look forward to the picture and story of your first Coues.

Okay: Well seeing He was the national pistol champion and custom builds the best 1911's out there for the good guys and the cops he has trained. I wouldnt expect anything less out of his 1000 yard gun he built. I thought I recongnized your mugs shots:) Matt, that was a awesome shot buddy!!!

Josiah