Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanley

Rutting Coues

Guest Stanley

I posted this on MM, but thought I would share here as well. I saw an awesome sight this past week;

A buddy of mine and I went quail hunting in 34A. We stopped in the middle of a small road to get some of our gear ready & to let the dog stretch his legs. We had been out of the truck for a few minutes, making plenty of noise, when I thought I heard a doe ?wheeze/blow?. (you know, that high-pitched kind of blowing noise they sometimes make?) I commented to my buddy about the noise, when all of a sudden out of the brush runs a coues doe just about 30 yards in front of the truck. Hot on her trail was a nice sized 3x3, and hot on his trail was a VERY nice 4x4! The big deer kept butting the small one in the rump, trying to get him to turn around & fight. All three of these deer proceeded to run like crazy around the general area , crossing back & forth right in front of us, and at one point making a complete circle around the truck. The bucks were grunting during the chase! This was all done at top speed! I was hoping that the first buck would turn around and lock horns with the big one, but he never did. What a sight though! The Visla eventually started barking, scaring off the deer. I?ve seen deer in the rut before, but these bucks were just going nuts! They had only ONE thing on their mind, and I couldn?t believe the way they were just totally ignoring us & the truck, just a few dozen yards away.

Good luck to all of the archery hunters!

Stan

:-)

You don't know how badly I was wanting my bow right about then! I actually think that I might have been able to stalk into position for a shot. They were truly ignoring their surroundings...

We ended-up only getting into one covey of quail (those mearns sure are harder to come by then the gambles I'm used to hunting....). It was a blast to watch the dog work the birds in the tall grass. Unfortunately my shooting wasn't up to par that day, and I couldn't reward him with a downed bird. Sure was fun though..

S.

:-)

Guest Ernesto C

Stanley exciting story!! thanks for sharing it with us and welcome to the coolest web site.

God bless you. Ernesto C.