El Fuego

San Carlos Spring Bear?

I am not looking for any specific information related to hunting Spring Bear on The San Carlos; however, general information regarding this hunt would be appreciated.

Do you prefer Unit A, B or C? Any other general information shared would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your posts.

Todd

I had a B tag several springs ago. Great country and lotsa gobblers. While checking for tracks along a creek the last dayof my hunt, this bear ambled up on the opposite side of the creek at 25 yards. The 300 Winnie was back in the truck, and I was unsure of my security, but fortunately he paid me no notice.

We all saw several bear. One guy even shot one while standing in his undies in front of the wall tent at sunrise one morning, He didn't believe me when I said there was a bear 30 yards out front. Musta been the one who got our peach pies.

SanCarlosBear_edited.jpg

Doug~RR

Made for a real nicely patterned rug. The dark belly made for a nice border around the cinnamon back. He was rubbed a lot, but not down to the hide. A little over 5 1/2' nose to tail.

RR

I would take B any day and if no tags left, go for C! I have been on many bear kills in B and took my first archery bear there. Lately we have been hunting C and always fill tags. Last year my bro-n-law took a 21" bear in C and we went 4 out of 5, the 5th guy was very picky, (my dad). Just get a tag and scout the waterholes, buy a fishing permit and fish the waterholes as well, some great fishing and absolutely beautiful country! If no luck around water holes, they'll be along the river. Good luck, JIM

Spring bear is a tougher hunt in comparison to the other seasons. Several years ago I bought a tag for Spring Unit B. I saw very few bears in comparison to what I saw in the fall. I actually only saw three bears and one of those was across the river on the White Mountain Apache side. One particular bear was rubbed real bad so it was done hybernating for quite some time. That may be the case this year with unseasonably warm days. I did eventually get a nice bear that had a fabulous hide. It was one of my more enjoyable hunts and would love to go again but the wife does not really want to look at another bear rug on the wall. If you want to PM me, I would be happy to look at a map and tell you where I had the best success for seeing bears that may assist in your scouting efforts. Also, get a lion tag.

After limited thought, with few tags avaialble, my choice for Spring Bear on The San Carlos is unit 'B'. The season starts on Saturday April 8th and ends in early May.

Does anyone have any thoughts or general comments related to unit 'B' for Spring Bear on The San Carlos?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Hey, does anyone want to donate a Hind Quarter of their spring bear to me for a house warming party I am throwing???? I am gonna build a Pit at my new house and I think Bear meat makes a great addition to the party. :)

Thanks.

CnS,

I think we could probably work something out. In fact, the bigger Bear you get me on, the more meat your guests will be able to enjoy :D

:)

CnS,

By the way.  What is your pit recipe for Bear?

It is really not my recipe... it is my Bro-in-law's. You put several different meats in the pit.... bear, turkey, pork, elk, deer, or what ever.... but I think the fatty meats help the leaner meats to be more juicy and it kinda mixes the flavors.

Sorry, I have never hunted the Res. but I have glassed bears up there from the unit 28 side....

Most of the canyons off of freeze out mt.dumping into the black river hold bears,and the the canyons from bs gap to maylay gap dumping to the river are full of bears. Also try driving into ten of diamonds and look for sign on the river. good luck