Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Macho B Jr. sighting!!!

Just wondering if a Jaguar roar sounds close to the African lion?

I want to think it sounds like a record played in reverse very sharply with a high pitch to low? Any insight is welcomed?

last i knew he was still kickin'. he was an ol' outlaw but he knew hounds and critters like nobody. he had his "power dogs". interesting concept. especially for bears. i'm pretty sure he did both bear and lion "canned" hunts. he would catch wild animals, but he kept em penned up until he could get a hunter there. there have been several guys that got in trouble for that. he lived in young last i knew. about 12 years or so ago i was driving through there and saw a sign on the side of the road advertising his oufitting company by his house. lived a little ways north of "town". only met him once and that was a long time ago and he was old then. i found him real interesting. i'm pretty sure he pulled the big runner and went to belize after he got busted. but i don't know if it was after the Az or new mex bust. an article i read said his address was listed as new mexico and belize when he was found guilty of the federal stuff. his trial was in idaho. if you google his name there is an old article from a sports illustrated that talks about it some. come to think of it, i've knowed a lotta bonafide outlaws over the years. maybe i need to start keepin' better company. i think the theory of zoos and pets for the jags and the leopard sounds pretty believable. never was up close to a jag but the guys i know that have talk like you ain't gonna rope a wild one and tie it up like a lotta folks have mt lions or bears. i think a jag is nothin' but spotted death walkin' around when he decides to fight. they are one cool critter.

here is another article i found. says he wasn't convicted of any game violations but rather for importing animals without a permit. said it wasn't illegal to shoot pen raised animals. it's kinda funny.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19731228&id=5VodAAAAIBAJ&sjid=DVoEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6182,4860836

Lark.

nope. he's dead. just found his obituary. died last spring. he was 97. it didn't say anything about any game violations.

as far as what kinda sound they make, good question. i don't know. wish i did. i know a few guys who've caught em, but never thought to ask that question. Bill oughta know. Lark.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1088195/2/index.htm

This is the Sports Illustrated article Lark mentioned. In addition to federal Lacey Act violations convictions reported in the article, I remember writing an article for the Citizen that said Prock also was convicted of state charges involving canned bear hunts and lost his rights to hunt, fish or guide in Arizona for a term I don't recall. I would guess that New Mexico filed similar charges.

What surprises me now is that no hunter as far as I know sued Prock for fraud. Guess they were too ashamed to admit that they had been duped.

As for jaguars roaring, they are similar to tigers, African lions and leopards in that they have a special larynx that allows them to roar. (Scientists classify these four animals as "roaring" cats.) No other cat, wild or domestic, is similarly equipped, and that includes such large cats as mountain lions, African golden cats and snow leopards. Open Google and look up "sounds jaguars make" and you'll find at least one of the sites offers a recording. Unfortunately, I can't open it with my dial-up modem.

There used to be a big male jaguar at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, but don't know if they still have one. I used to sit and watch that animal and was impressed at how muscular, large and powerful it was compared to mountain lions and even leopards. I never heard it roar, though.

Bill Quimby

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1088195/2/index.htm

This is the Sports Illustrated article Lark mentioned. In addition to federal Lacey Act violations convictions reported in the article, I remember writing an article for the Citizen that said Prock also was convicted of state charges involving canned bear hunts and lost his rights to hunt, fish or guide in Arizona for a term I don't recall. I would guess that New Mexico filed similar charges.

What surprises me now is that no hunter as far as I know sued Prock for fraud. Guess they were too ashamed to admit that they had been duped.

As for jaguars roaring, they are similar to tigers, African lions and leopards in that they have a special larynx that allows them to roar. (Scientists classify these four animals as "roaring" cats.) No other cat, wild or domestic, is similarly equipped, and that includes such large cats as mountain lions, African golden cats and snow leopards. Open Google and look up "sounds jaguars make" and you'll find at least one of the sites offers a recording. Unfortunately, I can't open it with my dial-up modem.

There used to be a big male jaguar at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, but don't know if they still have one. I used to sit and watch that animal and was impressed at how muscular, large and powerful it was compared to mountain lions and even leopards. I never heard it roar, though.

Bill Quimby

Thank you for the input,I was able to google a site that offered a similar sound. Thanks again

i heard a tiger at the san diego zoo. scared the crap outta me. if they are like that i don't know it i wanna hear one. when you tree a lion they hiss a lot. when they mate it sounds like a woman screaming. really spooky to hear it in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. Lark.

Lark: If that zoo tiger's roar got to you, you ought to try -- in minimum moonlight -- following little bits of toilet paper set out along a trail through the brush toward where you hung a zebra carcass for bait the previous afternoon. You and the two guys with you have to move very quietly because although a 500-pound lion is roaring at the bait, the lioness with him will hear a twig break and you have no idea where she is. When you finally enter your blind (it's made of grass and sticks) the lion roars again. He is between the blind and the bait just 10 yards away, but it's still too dark to see him. Later, you will learn the lions walked the same trail you did, and even spent some time inside your blind. If walking up to an African lion in the dark doesn't raise the little hairs on the back of your neck, nothing will!

Bill Quimby

you shoulda put out whole rolls o' toilet paper for that deal. i woulda needed more that bits and pieces. like the old guy at the huntin' club that was telling some youngsters a story about a lion that jumped out at him. he said it went "ROAR" and then he said, "well, i just $h!t myself". a youngster said "i would too if a lion jumped out and roared at me". the old timer said "no not then, just now when i said "ROAR"!! Lark.

We used most of a roll of paper when we marked the trail. We had to park a half mile from the bait so our vehicle wouldn't run the lions off the bait when we drove up an hour before daylight. The trackers had cleared every leaf and branch from our trail after we hung the bait.

At age 75 I cannot say I haven't had little accidents like your old guy at the huntin' club. That's why you will never hear me roar. :P

Incidentally, one of the guys with me was a tracker who was carrying an axe he had made from a hardwood tree root and a piece of car spring. The PH said that axe was a better weapon than our big rifles (I had a .416 Weatherby, the PH had a .458) if a lion got up close and personal. I was so impressed with that axe that I bought it.

Bill Quimby