Sign in to follow this  
Guest nosajpo

Rifle project opinions needed

Guest nosajpo

I would like some opinions on what i should do with one of my rifles. I have two remington senderos in 7mm mag. One is the sf1 and the other is a newer sf2. I obviously dont need two in the same caliber and was thinking about maybe re-barreling the older sendero into something else. I would take it to my gunsmith for all the work. Not sure what all my options are. What caliber would you rebarrel to and why. I do not currently own a rifle in the .30 caliber range other than 30-06. If anyone knows what it would cost to do a rebarrel that would be good to know as well. Thanks for any help. The gun would be for hunting mainly but open to all ideas.

I have an worn out 7 mag that I am considering doing something with. My understanding is you have a limited amount of choices without changing the bolt face. 300 win mag, 300 wby mag, 338 win mag are the ones I have been told about. I like all these cartriges, and can't make up my mind, so the rifle just sits in the safe waiting :)

Do you have to have a factory loading or are you considering wildcat rounds?

Are you set on going bigger, you mentioned 308 cal?

What are you planning on hunting?

My opinion:

If you reload already and assuming you are after deer size game I would love to have a 6.5mm Rem Mag or 264 STW. You may have shorter barrel life depending on how hot the loads are you use but this would be an ideal deer/antelope rifle. You could push a 130gr bullet at around 3500fps in the STW and the RM would not be far behind. That is smokin' in a bullet that should have +.5 to +.6 BC depending on which mfg bullets you choose. Recoil should not be too much of an issue and you will be hard pressed to find better ballistics in anything else.

Brass will be cheaper in the RM since you can neck down your existing 7RM brass. Either way the dies are probably going to run you around $200 - $300.

If you are looking for a big Elk or Bear rig don't waste your time on the .308's and go for the .338

ain't the 6.5 remington mag a lot shorter than a 7mm mag? be quite a stretch to resize the 7mm into a 6.5. you could concievably do it, but it would take cutting the brass, resizing it and then drilling the necks for proper thickness. Lark.

Yes, good catch you are correct I was not referring to the commerical cartridge. Should have wrote it as 6.5mm-7mm RM, or the 264 Win mag, was trying to be simple but ended up making it confusing.

264 Win mag - Necked down 7mm RM case

264 STW - Necked down 7mm STW

I think these would be straight forward. I have 6-284 and going from 6.5 to 6 does not require anymore work than loading the 6.5, just different dies and proper loads.

actually the 7mm is a necked up .264, sorta. winchester developed both of em and decided to run with the .264 and remington took the 7mm and put their name on it. them and the .338 win mag are all based on the .458 win mag case necked down.

the sendero is a 700 action and the mag well should take .338's fine.

as far as advantages of a 7mm or .264, it depends on what you want to do. they both have basically identical case capacity. the 7mm shoots a bullet that is 20 thousandths bigger diameter. i just shoot 100's out of my .264 because i like it to be a hotrod. my son has a sendero in .264 that he has done a lot of other work too and he shoots 130's, with very good success. he tried shoot longer bullets but it isn't twisted fast enough and wouldn't group well. one very critical thing to remember is barrel twist, especially in the .264. if you want to shoot the long bergers or other long bullets, make sure it is properly twisted. Lark.

I would like some opinions on what i should do with one of my rifles. I have two remington senderos in 7mm mag. One is the sf1 and the other is a newer sf2. I obviously dont need two in the same caliber and was thinking about maybe re-barreling the older sendero into something else. I would take it to my gunsmith for all the work. Not sure what all my options are. What caliber would you rebarrel to and why. I do not currently own a rifle in the .30 caliber range other than 30-06. If anyone knows what it would cost to do a rebarrel that would be good to know as well. Thanks for any help. The gun would be for hunting mainly but open to all ideas.

I know a guy that is looking to buy a sendero-the older style. I sold my older 270 sendero and he keeps asking if I know anyone that might have one. If you are interested in selling it, let me know. I could put you in touch with him.

If you are interested in trades, I have an AR-15 that I am willing to trade for one of your senderos