Sign in to follow this  
Scott Gorczyca

Which season for coues?

Just to spur some discussion, which hunt do you prefer to hunt coues in; the October, November or December hunt? I think they all have their postiives and negatives...ie draw odds, rut, deer activity, etc...

I would like to hunt the December hunt, but lately it seems the rut has come late, not to mention the tougher draw odds. I would think the October hunt would be good cause the deer haven't been pushed by other hunters, but it's usually a 3 day season. The November hunt is a longer hunt, giving one time to hunt an area more then during the Oct season, but you've already had one hunt and the rut is still far off...

So which do you choose?

Scott G.

I prefer the December hunt because this affords the most days to hunt due to my Christmas vacation, there are fewer hunters in the field, and the nights are longer to get that needed rest for all that hiking. I also feel that the deer are more active. A negative is the greater chance for nasty weather, but right before and after the storm are good, active times.

I have had November tags, and the temps can be comfortable, or too hot for pleasant hiking. I have seen some good bucks out in Nov.

I have not had an October tag, but imagine this requires more preseason scouting to find and pattern the big bucks. But if you get his pattern,...

With the shorter hunts, or you can only go one weekend, bad weather can ruin the trip. I can remember one November backpack hunt that it rained 3 straight days and sent us all home soaked and soggy. One member was on the verge of hypothermia.

Red Rabbit/Doug

I too agree with Red Rabbit. I prefer the December hunts (hunted one year in 6A in 8 inches of snow) because of the length and hope the deer will be in rut which lately hasn't been the case. I have hunted the October hunt and found it to be discouraging because of the short season. I usually put down a December hunt for first choice and a November hunt for second.

Arizona Griz.

I've never been drawn for the December hunt yet, but have hunted both the Oct and Nov hunts. Did get snowed out of one Oct hunt in 32 a few years back. Don't like that hunt due to it being only 3-4 days. November hunt not too bad. Could be warm or cold. Like that you have two weekends to score one. Hopefully this will be the year I pick-up a December tag!!

I prefer the December hunt due to most of the stuff others posted. Of course rut would be the key. November was a bit tough last year with all the muley hunters and others having drove through the area on every imaginable trail/road on quads etc. Seemed like alot of people hunting last year................Allen...........

I like others prefer the December hunts because the rut reall gets the bucks moving. However, I will mention that the rut can really screw things up as well. I have scouted and watched bucks all summer and fall and have a pretty good idea where they live but as soon as the rut kicks I can't seem to find the same bucks because they are off chasing some tail on another ridge somewhere.

I also like the December hunt. It is always a longer hunt (sometimes over 3 weeks!) On a shorter hunt weather can be a problem. If they open a short hunt on a full moon the deer can be less active through the entire hunt. In December it is usually cooler so the deer tend to be more active during the day and you can walk more without sweating to death. And,if you are lucky the rut might kick in (probably not until January.) Just my 2 cents.

Travis