Sign in to follow this  
BML

One for the good guys!

With all the posts we always read about so and so screwing up "my hunt" and people being arse holes and what not I figured I would throw out a post for the good guys.

I got to a new spot I'd never hunted before early today and while glassing a few hundred yards from my truck I quickly noticed I wasn't alone. Truck after truck rolled in as the sun came up. I quickly realized that if any bucks were spotted, I may not be the only one hunting them.

Well an hour or so, and 25 deer later, I was planning my stalk on a couple small bucks. I had covered a bout a mile when I stopped in the shade of a small tree to assess the situation. The bucks were still about 150 yards away so I needed to make the plan for my final approach. There was one doe still up feeding so I decided to back out around the back side of the tree I was next to. When I did, I noticed a hunter with his son ( I assume) about 100 yards behind me. They had also spotted the bucks and were attempting a stalk as well. They saw me and the fact that I was already in position to make a move and they stayed put.

2 hours or so later I was 25 yards away from these bucks when a couple cows ruined my day.

Long story short a big thank you goes out to to that guy who allowed me to continue on my stalk. He could have very easily rushed in to beat me to it. He set an awesome example for the young hunter he was with.

Good luck to everyone still out there hunting!!

We had the same thing happen on a LO elk hunt. We were in on the herd 1st and the guys behind us hung back and didn't blow it for us. Not all guys are jackwagons....

I am guessing that there are a lot more stories like this than the ones about so and so messed it up for me, they just don't get told like the others.

Good to see one! Thanks

Guest akaspecials

+1 for teaching youth respect in the back country. Hopefully your stalk will be successful next time!

Good stories like these happen all the time.

We are proudly mostly a good bunch and it only takes a few bad apples or bad decisions to sour the mix. Thanks for sharing as we don't always hear about these.

Ironically, within 48 hours someone stole my trail camera from a nearby river bottom where I was hunting that day. I checked it before I left on Saturday and went back on Monday to reposition it and it was gone. Had it chained up and everything so they had to break it off the lock, since the chain and lock were still around the tree.

There was another camera in that river bottom a few hundred yards from mine that I saw when I was looking for a spot to put mine. It wasn't locked or anything. I left it alone and found my own spot. After finding mine missing, I hiked over and that one was gone too. I am guessing since the batteries of that one were laying on the ground, it wasn't stolen and the owner is the culprit.

Oh well. I still stand by what I originally posted here about the good hunter etiquette from that guy and his son. Karma will get whoever took my camera.

Happy hunting!