Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Unit 37 Coues

I have quite a few coues deer on cameras up in 4a. About 10 miles north of the 300 rd.

Me & my dad were just up in 4A for the thanksgiving elk hunt & were trying to decide if there was coues in there or not, guess this answers it!

The most unlikely place I've seen a whitetail in Arizona was about 25-30 years ago in 37B, on Black Mountain, off the Willow Springs Road north of Oracle, smack dab in what should be mule deer country.

As for whitetails in unit 1, there are a few along Hall, Rosey and Benny creeks just outside of Greer that we see sometimes, and I suppose they're as far downstream as South Fork.

Bill Quimby

They are still hanging out around that area, I've seen a few whitetail doe to this day hanging out by Black Mountain even as far to 96 ranch rd

• Like 1

The most unlikely place I've seen a whitetail in Arizona was about 25-30 years ago in 37B, on Black Mountain, off the Willow Springs Road north of Oracle, smack dab in what should be mule deer country.

As for whitetails in unit 1, there are a few along Hall, Rosey and Benny creeks just outside of Greer that we see sometimes, and I suppose they're as far downstream as South Fork.

Bill Quimby

They are still hanging out around that area, I've seen a few whitetail doe to this day hanging out by Black Mountain even as far to 96 ranch rd

I seen couple huge bucks in unit 1 at the very edge of the southwest corner next to wmat, HUGE whty bucks there :o

I was up North for the holiday this weekend and saw a coues buck in 5A for the first time. I have spent a lot of time there over the years and always wanted to see a WT. I don't usually spend a lot of time near the rim in this unit but while I was checking out a new part of the burn I spotted a little 3x3. Made my weekend, especially cause I couldn't seem to glass up any elk.

Bill Quimby

I used to hunt 37B alot during late archery season years ago. Oddly enough, the biggest Muley I have ever seen in Arizona was right in the foothills of Black Mountain. I took off my shoes to put a silent stalk on him, and I stepped right on a Cholla Pod. Ended my hunt for that day.

I have never seen a live whitetail in 37B, but I did find a shed. That was approx 25 years ago. I haven't been in there in quite awhile.

I guess everyone will have to take my word for it that I was engaged in a legal activity when this encounter occurred. I am familiar with the regs and have read them. I have driven past Black Mt. a few times and wondered if there was an established population of WT. I haven't ever glassed it but what I have seen looks pretty much like everywhere else they hang out. I knew there were a few hanging out up in the NE corner of 37b by Superior. AZcoues that really surprised me that you see them in the White Tanks. That's a long ways from where I would have expected them to be. Has anybody had luck finding them up high like in 4A or 5A? I have always expected to glass one up in Leonard canyon or some other nasty piece of real estate.

I have seen them in 5A as far north as the p/j flat just south of East/West Sunset Mtn. But the strangest place was on the T.O. Res On the flats North of the Quijotoa Mtns. That's about 30 miles from Babo, Roskruge, Silver Bells.

A couple unit 37b coues. I hiked my butt off to find these deer and sheds - LOL

Oh and the mountain lion from my avatar same camera same unit, bummer!

I need to whack that CAT - or should I say cats!

AzP&Y

post-898-0-19389400-1329883318_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-57364600-1329883330_thumb.jpg

Bill Quimby

Me too. I was archery hunting mule deer at the base of Black Mountain near the Transmission tower off of willow springs road, many years ago. I found the smallest whitetail shed I have ever seen. I didn't even know they existed in the area. Probably was the mid 1980's.

Have also seen Whitetail in Unit 1 around the Greer Lakes when I was flyfishing the Little Colorado downstream where it flows out of River Reservoir Lake. Have seen Antelope, Elk, Mule Deer, and Whitetail all in the same meadow above the river canyon.