Sign in to follow this  
rolkat

Scopemounting

I am having trouble mounting scopes. After I finish with one others tell me that the crosshairs are not level. They look level to me, am I missing something obvious or is every shooter different?

I think that every shooter is different. My crosshairs look level to me when I hold the rifle, but if you put the rifle in a vise and check them. They are cocked a little. So I think it is the way that a person holds the rifle.

I use my highly scientific and accurate method by utilizing a vice type aparatice and good ole torpedo level :D .

On my Mod.70 there is a flat portion on the action, so I start from there, I level that first. Then the rings and finally the scope. If you take the top cap off the scope as if you where to adjust the cross hairs you can put the level there but that part is the toughest one because it is so small.

Kind of cheese ball way but it works for me. I am sure some one will have a MUCH better way of doing it.

GOOD LUCK!

;)

I do it a couple of different ways that are both kind of mickey mouse but work fine for me.

The first way is, if your gun has a bipod, extend the legs and put the gun on a flat surface (table or floor). Then pick out something that has a straight vertical line. I usually use the crack in my front door or the corner of a room. Line the veritcal cross hair up with that line and you are good to go.

The other way is if you do not have a bipod. There usually is a flat spot on the underside of your stock (just in front of the hing plate). Rest this flat spot on the corner of a table and use a vertical line like above.

Two best and easy ways for me. CB

I place the gun in the cleaning rest, rest a section of an old cleaning rod or ruler across the flat of the mount base, then rotate the scope until the crosshair is parallel to the rod. Afterward, you can also follow the vertical hair downward and see if it aligns with the center of the bolt/cocking pin. Be sure to tighten the rings evenly so the scope is not torqued and rotated. Weaver rings are nasty about this.

Just throwing the rifle to the shoulder and seeing if they look level doesn't work if you cant the rifle. If the vertical hair is not truly vertical to the bore, this can cause long shots to impact to the side.

RR

Years ago, I bought a Reticle Leveler from Cabela's for about $12 or $13. It is a simple device made of two plastic tabs and a steel rod that clamps to the flat underside of your scope turrets with a rubber band. When you position it, you can look through the scope and line up the horizontal crosshairs with the lines on the Reticle Leveler. I just looked on the Cabela's web site, and they are now $19.99, but if you mount a lot of scopes they are worth the time saved. Cabela's also sells their own Cabela's Scope Reticle Leveler for $9.99, but I have never tried one.