Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Sight Height

Sorry guys,

pardon my ignorance but how do you measure your sight height on your rifle?

the ballistic software ask you for sight height.

Thanks for the help.

center of bore to center of scope

take the bolt out and measure the distance from the bottom of the the inside or your action to the top of te scope tube. From that subtract half the height of you scope tube and half the height of the action.

What elpepe said, long version....

Just pretend you know its 1.5 in. shayne

I just lay a good steel ruler with the end at the midpoint of the barrel and read the measurement at the midpoint of the scope tube. Unless you use a scope with an objective diameter greater than 40mm, the resulting measurement will be so close to 1.5 inches that any variation is irrelevant. Ballistic programs give you a good idea of where your impact might be at various ranges, but the only way to tell for sure is to shoot your rifle at 50 or 100 yard increments out to whatever distance that you are comfortable shooting. I have about three different programs on my computer and another that is programmed into my chronograph. Despite the relatively primitive program in my 15-year old PACT chrono, it produces drop tables that more closely approximate what I find when I actually shoot a given load/bullet combination. I don't shoot a lot of "flat shooting" cartridges (with the exception of my .300 Wby), but the PACT program works well with cartridges ranging from .243 Win up to 9.3x74R and .375 H&H.

Funny I just was looking to do this....mine is 2.0 inches, but I put 1.5 and 2.0 in the ballistic calculator and the MOA clicks were exactly the same... from what I read its the middle of the rear objective to the middle of the bore. You can pull your bolt and insert a cleaning rod to measure.

We have a tendency to make it more complicated than it is. I'm pretty sure we could cover the spectrum of bullet drop with only 3 differant charts from your exbal program. 165grn 300 ultra, 180grn 300 whatever, 165grn 308. One of these 3 could be applied to whatever your shooting and find it pretty darn close. shayne