Sign in to follow this  
CritterGitter

Mule Deer Range

I am curious how large of any area a mule deer uses, especially during the rut? Normally, I look for does just before the rut and soon enough, the bucks will be there. It's not the unknown places where they hang out all year long but the places and distance where they are now.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm hunting a buck that I have only seen on camera. Like clockwork with rare exception, he comes to water every night between midnight and 4 am. There are does in the area and I've seen other bucks, but not this guy. Through process of elimination I have been searching areas within a few miles of the water but with no luck.

Any thoughts?

He'll more than likely be no further than a mile away... Let's see the pics!

Here's one from the only time he stopped by during daylight and unfortunately, not during deer season.

post-289-0-72590100-1326498082_thumb.jpg

I say within a mile. but which direction is the question. keep at it. you will find him. do you have recent pictures? Maybe he is dead already...

I have pictures from almost every night since January 1.

I think it depends on how hard that water source gets pressured. With little human activity around the water he could be within a mile. If there's decent activity around there, a big buck like that won't mind getting further away. Big bucks are big cause they're smart. If they need to move further away they will. It doesn't take a deer anytime at all to cover a couple miles. If that's how far he needs to be he'll be that far if its the only water around. Heck might even be further.

I always heard big bucks go nocturnal, with less during the rut but I am far from an expert. Its funny to see a unit get slammed with hunters during the rifle season and not much come out but during the rut these huge ones come out of the wood work like they are all over. I always am curious if they travel or stick to cover more when pressured.

A mile for a deer is nothing. If he needed to bed further away he still would.

Have you looked for his sheds? Im surprised he never comes in during the day though. He's got to be near and with does.

He's big for a reason I guess! Looks like a smoker man--hope you figure him out!

Once while in the Southern deserts, I had spotted a very unique 4 point with a busted eyeguard. The next morning we found him 14 miles away across the flats basin rutting different does... They travel during the rut a lot... I know they do have a core area though because I have also seen the same bucks return to the same canyons from year to year and as often as every day during peak estrous,

On the Strip this year my client killed a buck that moved a bunch. We got pictures of him at 2 AM on a water, killed him that evening right before dark, 5.5 miles away from that water!!! So like 14 hours after the picture was taken. Muleys are crazy beasts during the rut.

My father loves muleys and he gets pictures on water sources where the bucks are traveling 5 to 10 miles to get there!!! Of course they don't water every night but....

That buck could have a hidey hole 500 yards away, or 5000 yards away. Those old bucks are sneaky!

I once saw a herd buck and his does during the rut and they mainly stayed in a 1/2 mile square area. I saw them just about every weekend. I never did get that big boy with my bow.